Highlighted
dch151 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Windows 2019 with ZCM 2017U4 agent won't register

Jump to solution

I am trying to install the ZCM 2017U4 agent on a Windows 2019 server.  The agent installs without errors but after reboot and login, looking at the 'Technician Application' it doesn't know what the management Zone or ZCM server DNS and IP are.  If I use a 'zac register https://{ZCM Primary IP}, it comes ac with "Service Error -21, "Could not determine device type from <OS> tag: unsupported:null"

I checked the firewall and there are entries for ZCM in there so that is not the problem.  I can ping the primary (and only) ZCM server. 

What am I missing?

Dan

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Windows 2019 with ZCM 2017U4 agent won't register

Jump to solution

There is not anything you can do on your side about the following error:

"Service Error -21, "Could not determine device type from <OS> tag: unsupported:null"

This indicates that there is not a match in the "OSTargets" Table that holds the list of supported operating systems for your ZCM 2019 Server.  ZCM 2019 is listed as a supported operating system in the docs..

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-4/zen_system_requirements/data/managed_device_requirements.html#brm022y

Unfortunately, it's not possible to even update the table manually in ZCM 2017, because this table is populated from a JAR file on the server and the table is rebuilt each time the services restart and any manual changes would be lost.

If Possible, I would suggest an SR to see why your ZCM 2019 Server is getting this error.

On a positive note, I believe that ZCM 2020 would provide ways for you to work around this issue and allow you to manually add your own list of supported operating strings on top of what ships with the product.  Clearly this should be done with care, since in normal conditions all tested operating systems would be in the list already.

Note: Could You send me a private message and attach an export of HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion from your 2019 Server?

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

There is not anything you can do on your side about the following error:

"Service Error -21, "Could not determine device type from <OS> tag: unsupported:null"

This indicates that there is not a match in the "OSTargets" Table that holds the list of supported operating systems for your ZCM 2019 Server.  ZCM 2019 is listed as a supported operating system in the docs..

https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks-2017-update-4/zen_system_requirements/data/managed_device_requirements.html#brm022y

Unfortunately, it's not possible to even update the table manually in ZCM 2017, because this table is populated from a JAR file on the server and the table is rebuilt each time the services restart and any manual changes would be lost.

If Possible, I would suggest an SR to see why your ZCM 2019 Server is getting this error.

On a positive note, I believe that ZCM 2020 would provide ways for you to work around this issue and allow you to manually add your own list of supported operating strings on top of what ships with the product.  Clearly this should be done with care, since in normal conditions all tested operating systems would be in the list already.

Note: Could You send me a private message and attach an export of HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion from your 2019 Server?

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
dch151 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks, Craig.  I'll send you the info and open an SR.

Dan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.