dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows Explorer will be restarted - before ZCM agent update

(Single primary ZCM 2017U4 appliance)

On a WS running Windows 10, when trying to update the agent from an earlier version to 2017U4, we STILL get the message that 'Windows Explorer will be restarted before update' or something similar. It just sits there and never proceeds. This makes unattended updates impossible it seems to me. I remember writing a post on this back on the first 2017 release. It looks like it still has not been addressed.

Is there no fix for this? How do other users do ZCM agent updates on Windows 10 machines? It is very annoying.

dan
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Windows Explorer will be restarted - before ZCM agent up

If you disable "Show Progress", you will not be prompted.....
I don't disagree with your assessment.....

The history is that in Windows 10.00000000000000000000000000000
There was a bevy of issues with "Toast Notifications" crashing things.....

This work-around was put in place to use legacy instead of toast notifications....
Years later it is still there.....

I'm still pushing Dev on this.....
SRs may help Dev realize that "Press OK" is just not "OK".
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, Craig. So, if I don't 'show progress', I won't get any notifications of when the update starts or when it finishes, correct? If I set it to prompt the user, the user will just see a prompt at the end of the update to reboot the WS, right?

Dan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can "Prompt the User" to Start.
You can "Prompt the User" to Reboot.

The "Show Progress" is the issue.....
Those little popup Windows near the System Tray is what caused an issue during the ZCM 11.4.1 to 11.4.2 Upgrade test cycle.
(Note: ZCM 11.4.1 was the 1st version to officially support Windows 10.)
The issue was quite uncommon and almost certainly a native Windows 10 issue long since resolved....

So what is happening is that ZCM is disabling native Windows 10 "Toast Notifications", Enabling Legacy Balloon Tiips, Running the Update, and then setting it back.
But for the changes to be effective....Explorer.exe needs to be restarted.....

Unfortunately, what was supposed to be a "Quick Fix" to handle the rare Windows 10 Device (Long time ago and just initially supported a few months prior...), has just never had the push to get a final resolution.
A mix between a concern about ensuring the issue issue is no longer in Windows, since it was always sporadic, along with the fact turning off show progress prevents the issue....though progress is lost....

I'm recently pushed again recently to try and allow admins to disable the feature at their own risk....( Personally, I don't think there is one.....assuming their Windows 10 version is anything even remotely updated....)
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So where do I tell it to not 'show progress'? I don't see that option when pushing out the agent to a WS using the ZCC Configuration ~ System Update dialog.

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

dchunt;2495269 wrote:
So where do I tell it to not 'show progress'? I don't see that option when pushing out the agent to a WS using the ZCC Configuration ~ System Update dialog.

Thanks,

Dan

Configuration->Device Management->System Update Agent->Show System Update Progress

Thomas
0 Likes
dchunt Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks, Thomas, I'll give that a try.

Dan
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: Dev has agreed to add a Registry Key to add support for a Reg Key in a Future Version to allow for Toast Notifications....
If that is as error free as I presume....it should resolve issue.

However..support for the key would most likely be added into the System Update agent itself.....
Meaning if it was adding in ZCM Version YYYY, then only after you update the agents to YYY will you be able to use it when going to YYYY+1.

But much is conjecture beyond an agreement to try and add a reg key to allow for toast and hence no bouncing of Explorer.exe

dchunt;2495599 wrote:
Thanks, Thomas, I'll give that a try.

Dan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.