Highlighted
jhurley Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows agent installing ZESM (?)

Just about to get an SR opened for this. We are currently not licensed for ZESM and none of our primaries have it installed, but the agent deployment is installing it. This has become a problem because it looks like one of the ZESM drivers is preventing us from burning cd/dvds.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
14 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Windows agent installing ZESM (?)

By default, it will be enabled in a Trial Mode.
You can edit the Agent Configuration to disable the ZESM component.
This should resolve most ZESM related conflicts.
However, there will still be some ZESM related drivers, but most likely
disabling the ZESM component of the agent will resolve your issue.

On 1/27/2011 3:36 PM, jhurley wrote:
>
> Just about to get an SR opened for this. We are currently not licensed
> for ZESM and none of our primaries have it installed, but the agent
> deployment is installing it. This has become a problem because it looks
> like one of the ZESM drivers is preventing us from burning cd/dvds.
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
jhurley Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How do you edit the agent config after deployment, or is that done prior to deployment. I know you can customize the agent installs but I didn't see any options for picking and choosing components.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

0 Likes
Tessnow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

how can one see, if the ESM Module is installed or not?
Number of Modules installing doesn't change if ESM Agent Feature is set to disabled or the Product License for Endpoint Sec. Manag. is set to Deactivated.
(In every case I'll get an ZESM NDIS 5.1 Firewall.)

1. We are not able to install ZCM11 Agent to physical W2K8 Servers without getting an unbootable server after it.
2. We are not able to install the ZCM11 Agent to a W2K3 Server and have a registered device after the installation (installation seems not to finish - last modul is setup.exe - no Reboot Dialog appears.)

Regards - Frank
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Tessnow,

it sounds to me like a Service Request is the way to go, this is
obviously something Novell needs to work with you on...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
jhurley Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the response. I found those agent config settings poking around last night. Endpoint Security Management doesn't show up at all, which is as it should be. However, the agent is installing it. I would have thought that the agent deployment would only include components that you have available. Anyway the SR is open and we should find out more today. Incidentally I was able to remove the ZESM components, but some of the drivers (including the one attached to the optical drive) remain and we are still having trouble burning CD/DVDs.

John
0 Likes
jhurley Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Tessnow;2069620 wrote:
Hi,
(In every case I'll get an ZESM NDIS 5.1 Firewall.)

Regards - Frank

We are also seeing the firewall component but it doesn't seem to have caused us any problems. We will be installing on servers soon so your other comments disturb me. I have seen the agent install hand on the last component on some of our XP SP2 machines but I can't remember how I handled it.
0 Likes
scotspgc1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are getting the same problem where the ZESM setup.exe process is not completing properly.

Running the ZESM setp.exe manually gives us the following error;

Error 2803.Dialog View did not find a record for the dialog NoDialog.

We have searched all over the internet for a meaning behind this error but nobody has solved it yet.

Will post back if we find a solution.
0 Likes
Tessnow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

scotspgc;2075970 wrote:
We are getting the same problem where the ZESM setup.exe process is not completing properly.

Found on W2K3 that it is reproducable when the component "Terminalserver" is installed.
This is the issue for us. Novell allready knows about that.

Regards - Frank
0 Likes
scotspgc1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ok, so we finally found a workaround for this problem.

1. Uninstalled the Terminal Server Role from w2k3.
2. Used the Zenworks Agent Cleanup Utility to remove all signs of the ZCM 11 Adaptive Agent.
3. Installed Microsoft MSI Cleanup Utility and remove the Zenworks Endpoint Security installation (Zenworks Agent Cleanup Utility does not properly uninstall the ZESM Modules etc)
4. Reboot server to complete the removal of Terminal Services.
5. Install ZCM Adaptive Agent using the PreAgentPkg_AgentComplete.exe (Standalone with no DOTNET package).
6. Re-install Terminal Services.

Notes;
- We have Terminal Server Licensing on the same server, we did not have to remove this for the Zenworks Agent to install correctly. This also means we did not have to re-activate our server cals etc.
- We did not have to re-configure our Terminal Server settings, it seems to keep the previously used settings before the Terminal Services uninstall.

This procedure got the Zenworks Agent working perfectly on our Terminal Server.

Hopefully Novell can come up with a solution for this problem though.
0 Likes
bbeachem Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You can ignore this installshield generated error and the uninstall will continue on. Just hit ok and it will proceed or run in silently. This will be fixed in ZEN11 sp2.
0 Likes
bbeachem Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Let me say this correctly, this will be fixed in a future release of ZENworks 11. This is not gauranteed to be in ZEN11 SP2.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bbeachem,

...and even then, nothing is certain - anything can happen...
nice try Brent 🙂

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Ghuebner Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I get an answer of my SR about ZESM-Agent an deaktivate ZES

I have received confirmation from ZESM backline engineers that this firewall will never block any traffic nor disturb the normal package exchange on your devices, as it does not analyzes packages or anything similar.

This module is required by ZCM because it is use for the location feature of ZCM so, it no matter if you disable the ZESM module, this module will always install, as the location module and other features of ZCM require the use of this filter.

You can rest assure that this module is only used by ZCM for closest server rules and locations as well as for zcm activities but it has no effect on your device directly as it will not monitor any traffic nor block.

I hope this clarifies better your inquiry about this firewall module.

Not having this module can cause problems for devices when they try to register into the zone as it can't communicate properly with the locations module, which is the scenario I am experiencing on my lab.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.