rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZAA 17.1 Update killing Network Access

I upgraded my primary server, which seemed to finish without any major issues, about a week ago. Traditionally I leave the server update running with only a single workstation update for at least 24-hours just to make sure I don't have any issues. My first workstation updated to the latest agent without issue. Since that point all updates seem to kill the Network access on both Win7pro x64 and Win10Edu x64 devices as soon as the agent reboots. I have been able to get things back and running only when I login and force the following commands down.

zac zeus-ref
zac ref general bypasscache

Once that is done everything works as expected.

This issue seems to be with both the server push version of the update as well as the stand alone update agent.

Any ideas on why this is happening? I am thinking of building a scheduled task that would auto run the above commands to see if I can work around the issue. I have teachers coming back from summer break in a week and students soon after that. I have a little under 700 devices to update. I hate to have this issue occur first thing with the student devices.

Thanks for any help!

Richard
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
asudheer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZAA 17.1 Update killing Network Access

Although, I am not sure about the issue that causes huge network access. As you have limited time to update many agents, you may want to trick it by running a script with the zac commands through bundle.
0 Likes
Not applicable

To investigate further you may try to put the agent into debug logging zac logger DEBUG and log. check zmd-messages.log and application event log.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Not sure why those commands would help.....I cannot see any tie between those commands and Network Access, nor how it would do anything if it did not have network access.
Not sure how a scheduled task would help if the devices do not have network access.

What does "No Network Access" mean?
Does your device have an IP Address?
Can it ping it's default gateway? Can it ping Loopback?
Does it have DNS Server? Will it Resolve?
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So most of the clients I cannot ping upon the reboot after the 17.0 to 17.1 ZAA update. I get no access to the network from the client, most of which are Windows 10 x64 EDU (1607). I can gain access by doing one of two things so far. Either from a cli/powershell prompt type zac zeus-ref; zac ref general bypasscache or by manually right clicking the ZAA and running Check for Updates then Refresh. Soon after the ZAA turns blue and i have network access.

I have attempted to do a runonce command with the command lines in but have had spotty success primarily due to it taking a longer time to download and run the stand alone installer compared to the normal update running. I have seen some of the clients work after a second reboot. I added that to my runonce as well but it really isn't much of a fix due to the fact it isn't programmed in in time. Something I have worked on on and off over the last few days. Might just program a run command in registry to process those commands or to run a scheduled task to launch on startup to run them and leave them until the bulk of my deployment finishes this update.

I have had an issue with DNS hanging that was resolved this morning so am testing to see if this might cause the problem and will go away now.

Richard
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Nothing Logical about that...........
So I will offer some tips that are totally unrelated to your fix...........

#1 - Run MSINFO32. Goto System Drivers.......Are there any drivers that start with "Z"....Likely ZESxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Are you Licensed for ZESM? Are you licensed for and using it?
My guess is No to both.

Look to see if your ZONE is set for "Full Location" or "Location Lite".
If you are NOT using ZESM and you are set for "Full Location", do the following...........

#1 - In the ZCC under Configuration->ZENworks Agent....
Set "Choose the Reboot Behavior" to "Do Not Reboot Device".
Set Location Awareness to Lite.

If you are licensed for an using ZESM, then don't bother you will be forced to use Full Location Awareness.

Tip#2 - Increase your Network Filter Drivers if you are at default.
See - http://www.chicagotech.net/VPN/maxfilters.htm
I would change the settings to exactly as in the link above for simplicity sake.
I've seen values too low cause networking issues when lots of things hook into the network stack...........

No clue how those commands help...........
But Root Causes I've seen for networking issues are the two above............
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I checked most of the settings you reference but will have to check settings on specific systems when I get back into the office.

#1: Yes I have this setup like you referenced. I do have ZESM but have it turned off right now due to repeated issues with it interfering with HP's 3D Drive Gard software. When it was installed it would blue screen randomly. This was several years ago and I haven't returned to the issue to test and re-implement.

Currently it is set to Do No Rebot Device and Location Awareness Lite.

#2: I will pull a few deviecs that haven't updated yet and try this change to see what happens. Currently it would be what ever Win10 default values are.

Thanks for the help!

Richard
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Craigdwilson,

do you think it could be something like the problem that's seen if
there are no servers in the in the unknown location?

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Well, I really don't understand what is happening.........
As you know my Wife would consider that normal............

Another item does not jive with all of the facts would be for NEW Agent Installs vs Upgrades.....
A New Agent Install w/o a reboot may not see any device assignments until a manual fresh is run is assignment optimization is enabled, since this pulls pre-calculated assignments.
Reboot seems to clear this up....or maybe just a timing there..........
Had the one person reporting this turn off optimization since for most customers, it does not provide any real benefit...

Need 1,000s or 10,000s of devices and something set so they all checking at an exact time vs random times....before that would really help....
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I checked for server assignments for unknown location, and nothing was set. I did go ahead and place my only primary in those locations. From what I can see things seem to be clearing up although I have only personally tested four systems over the last day or so. I am still in the testing side of things. I have ran an upgrade against two additional Surface 3 Win10x64 EDU system, which had failed on several other systems, and they both upgraded rebooted and my login process function as I would expect.

In the past the login process would fail stating it couldn't find Tree or server. Once logged in the network link, in this case wireless, would show disconnected. I left several of the laptops running to see what would happen and nothing. It always seemed like a manual refresh of the ZAA and a check for update would be needed. Not sure which one would actually be needed since I just did both. With the changes suggested by Shaun things seem to be working like I would expect.

I have been going over my notes to see if anything has been done recently that would explain a difference. Only major change I had was a DNS restart issue where OES 2015's DNS would restart correctly. Since DNS was working and running otherwise I wouldn't expect this to be a cause.

I am still testing at this point and will try to get one of the laptops carts out today and update several systems at the same time.

Thanks for the help!

Richard
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Was able to finish trying several other systems with this change and all worked. I even found one that had been on for several days and rebooted twice before the change and never came back online. After today's reboot everything works great.

Thanks for the help!
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Rhuhman,

when ZCM was young, many people hated that it took a long time to login
if you were connected to a "foreign" network, such as one at home, so
they decided to remove all the servers from the "unknown" location,
which did make it quicker to login when away from the office. However,
if the PC, for whatever reason, ends up in the "unknown" location,
there's no way for it to find its way back... so having just one server
in there is best 😉

--

Shaun Pond
in my "day job" I work for ENGL; our aim is to make Windows deployment
easy

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.