rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZAA issue - Frustration!

I have been using ZCM since 10.2 and one common issue I have had with my systems is the clients randomly failing to communicate with the ZCM server. That and the problem of the ZAA not showing or deploying bundles (at least all of them) to all systems. The second issue seems to be resolved with a removal of the zmd folder under cache and a zaa refresh. The first issue requires, at least part of the time, a zaa unr -f / ensure the object doesn't exist in zcc / a reboot / and register of the device again. Sometime I can do so without the reboot and get this working. One small but growing issue is the combination of the two issues. I can't deploy or see new bundles without completely unregistering the client and registering fresh. I normally have to remove the object from zcc on this type of issue.

I am wondering if this is something others are seeing, even on a limited basis? If so how do you deal with this type of issue?

Richard
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ZAA issue - Frustration!

rhuhman;2222528 wrote:
I have been using ZCM since 10.2 and one common issue I have had with my systems is the clients randomly failing to communicate with the ZCM server. That and the problem of the ZAA not showing or deploying bundles (at least all of them) to all systems. The second issue seems to be resolved with a removal of the zmd folder under cache and a zaa refresh. The first issue requires, at least part of the time, a zaa unr -f / ensure the object doesn't exist in zcc / a reboot / and register of the device again. Sometime I can do so without the reboot and get this working. One small but growing issue is the combination of the two issues. I can't deploy or see new bundles without completely unregistering the client and registering fresh. I normally have to remove the object from zcc on this type of issue.

I am wondering if this is something others are seeing, even on a limited basis? If so how do you deal with this type of issue?

Richard

Hmm, I can't say that *I've* gotten that before in the sense of needing to re-register the device. But, I've had random issues where the logs will say it cannot find the content (even though it IS there--and other devices can fetch it just fine from that same server).

However, I started "clean" with 11.2, so it's possible maybe you have some leftovers from 10.x system to whatever you're on now and maybe need a database debug or diagnostic to fix some things?

We've had very random issue where the ZAA icon doesn't show up (killing the zennotifyicon.exe via taskmanager and then manually re-launching it again via command prompt works). Never been able to figure out what the cause is. Others have reported the same issue as well. But for us, it's very random and sporadic.

I'd be more concerned with the latter issue of needing to un-register/re-register the device. Although I've had one instance where two machines insisted they had the same GUID for no apparent reason.
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When I moved from 10 to 11 I started with a clean server install. Partly due to retiring the old server and also to just start fresh after learning a ton on the older server.
One thing that does happen yearly is a reimage of the student laptops during the summer. I don't know if this might be causing some issues with the laptops or not. I started scripting a unregister, reboot, register of the systems after the ZAA install on the reimage process and that seems to be helping.

I also have a few Same GUID issue systems. Not sure what that is all about.

I haven't had issues with the zennotify.exe issue as of yet. The main thing I notice is that when I go into zaa I will start seeing objects that haven't reported into zenworks in weeks or sometimes months. Those are the machines that I end up having to unregister, remove from zcc manually, reboot, and re-register. My concern is that for some areas this can be difficult since the students are taking the laptops home with them. I don't know if this is a student issue or if something else is going on.

I moved my database from internal to external and had worked with Novell support at the time with the database. We ran a ZDC on it and at the time everything checked out on the new database server. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Thanks for the input.

Richard
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

rhuhman,

If 2 devices have the same GUID, you can re-register them and generate a new
GUID by using the zac reg -g http://ZCMserver.

"rhuhman" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
rhuhman.5jyy6o@no-mx.forums.novell.com...

When I moved from 10 to 11 I started with a clean server install. Partly
due to retiring the old server and also to just start fresh after
learning a ton on the older server.
One thing that does happen yearly is a reimage of the student laptops
during the summer. I don't know if this might be causing some issues
with the laptops or not. I started scripting a unregister, reboot,
register of the systems after the ZAA install on the reimage process and
that seems to be helping.

I also have a few Same GUID issue systems. Not sure what that is all
about.

I haven't had issues with the zennotify.exe issue as of yet. The main
thing I notice is that when I go into zaa I will start seeing objects
that haven't reported into zenworks in weeks or sometimes months. Those
are the machines that I end up having to unregister, remove from zcc
manually, reboot, and re-register. My concern is that for some areas
this can be difficult since the students are taking the laptops home
with them. I don't know if this is a student issue or if something else
is going on.

I moved my database from internal to external and had worked with
Novell support at the time with the database. We ran a ZDC on it and at
the time everything checked out on the new database server. I hope I
didn't miss anything.

Thanks for the input.

Richard

--
rhuhman
------------------------------------------------------------------------
rhuhman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=4441
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=460486

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

rhuhman;2222543 wrote:
When I moved from 10 to 11 I started with a clean server install. Partly due to retiring the old server and also to just start fresh after learning a ton on the older server.
One thing that does happen yearly is a reimage of the student laptops during the summer. I don't know if this might be causing some issues with the laptops or not. I started scripting a unregister, reboot, register of the systems after the ZAA install on the reimage process and that seems to be helping.

I also have a few Same GUID issue systems. Not sure what that is all about.

I haven't had issues with the zennotify.exe issue as of yet. The main thing I notice is that when I go into zaa I will start seeing objects that haven't reported into zenworks in weeks or sometimes months. Those are the machines that I end up having to unregister, remove from zcc manually, reboot, and re-register. My concern is that for some areas this can be difficult since the students are taking the laptops home with them. I don't know if this is a student issue or if something else is going on.

I moved my database from internal to external and had worked with Novell support at the time with the database. We ran a ZDC on it and at the time everything checked out on the new database server. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Thanks for the input.

Richard

Could be something with the imaging. But sounds like you've got a handle on that part with scripting the commands. We had to do something similar.

I'm still at a loss as to how machines would get a duplicate GUID (in our case) but so far it only happened once, so I'm chalking it up to random whatever.

It's possible that the machines you're seeing that aren't talking may actually have a duplicate GUID with something else out there. I think the logs on the ZCM server may help find out if you have a rogue pc somewhere?

Or, possibly, did you ever put your ZAA in the Image itself and maybe forget to clear the registration and guid stuff?
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thanks for the information. I will check the logs more to see what is going on.

I don't have the image with the ZAA already installed. My process for imaging is layered. The base image is deployed frist which is a syspreped image of Windows 7. Once that is installed and windows is finished configuring itself a batch script runs to download and install drivers, a reboot and another batch script runs to install critical software needed before Novell products are deployed. The last step is to download and install novell product. (iPrint, Novell Client, ZAA) After the reboot from zaa I have to log in and the script runs the following:

zac unr -f -u <uname> -p <password>
rd "C:\Program Files\Novell\zenworks\cache\zmd" /q /s

a reboot and another login and I have an auto script that checks for zaa installation (does zac exist) and does a zac zc to see if it is registered. If not then it registers the system. then zenworks bundles needed for that system start to deploy. Some of them are scripted out to ensure the run others rely on the zaa to start that process.

The unregister and register of the system seems to be helping with the bundle deployment. My only problem is I have almost a hundred devices that are mobile (one - to - one laptop in high school) that is making it hard to resolve this. I thought about scripting a unreg and forcing a reboot and registering the system fresh but with the user rights at "users" only I am running into some issues on how best to do this.

I have done a few fixes remotely by using psexec and pushing the code from my terminal but have also ran into a few workstations that refuse to unregister from the zone.

I guess what I am surprised at is the level of errors I am getting on the main console and now the level of workstations that are either not getting all the bundles they should have or none at all. I seem to be spending a lot of time working on ZENWorks then anything. really was hoping I was not doing something or doing something wrong that was causing this so I could resolve this. When it works its great but when it doesn't then it is almost not worth having. Not sure if this is something to expect with school based/student based laptops or if I need to look at doing something different.

Thanks for the help.

Richard
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

rhuhman;2222572 wrote:
thanks for the information. I will check the logs more to see what is going on.

I don't have the image with the ZAA already installed. My process for imaging is layered. The base image is deployed frist which is a syspreped image of Windows 7. Once that is installed and windows is finished configuring itself a batch script runs to download and install drivers, a reboot and another batch script runs to install critical software needed before Novell products are deployed. The last step is to download and install novell product. (iPrint, Novell Client, ZAA) After the reboot from zaa I have to log in and the script runs the following:

zac unr -f -u <uname> -p <password>
rd "C:\Program Files\Novell\zenworks\cache\zmd" /q /s

a reboot and another login and I have an auto script that checks for zaa installation (does zac exist) and does a zac zc to see if it is registered. If not then it registers the system. then zenworks bundles needed for that system start to deploy. Some of them are scripted out to ensure the run others rely on the zaa to start that process.

The unregister and register of the system seems to be helping with the bundle deployment. My only problem is I have almost a hundred devices that are mobile (one - to - one laptop in high school) that is making it hard to resolve this. I thought about scripting a unreg and forcing a reboot and registering the system fresh but with the user rights at "users" only I am running into some issues on how best to do this.

I have done a few fixes remotely by using psexec and pushing the code from my terminal but have also ran into a few workstations that refuse to unregister from the zone.

I guess what I am surprised at is the level of errors I am getting on the main console and now the level of workstations that are either not getting all the bundles they should have or none at all. I seem to be spending a lot of time working on ZENWorks then anything. really was hoping I was not doing something or doing something wrong that was causing this so I could resolve this. When it works its great but when it doesn't then it is almost not worth having. Not sure if this is something to expect with school based/student based laptops or if I need to look at doing something different.

Thanks for the help.

Richard

hmm, I guess I'm confused then
What version of ZCM are you at?

normally if you do not have the ZCM agent installed via any part of the image (ie, after the machine is imaged and sysprep does it's thing the ZCM agent installs), the device will reboot and--if your bundles are user assigned to deploy on "logon", it will take 1 more reboot to work.

Virtually all our bundles are assigned to the user to run on Event User Login.
After imaging the machine, the user logs in, ZCM agent installs, reboots.
User logs in a second time, ZCM does its auto-refresh like 5-6 minutes later (usually like 2-3 minutes later because it's 5-6 minutes after system startup), at which point, it "sees" that it's supposed to install the bundles "at login" but "login" already happened, so it'll be the NEXT time.

Then they login again and they get all their stuff

There should be no need whatsoever to unregister and re-register immediately after install of the ZCM agent
If you're having to resort to that, you'll really want to enable debug logging everywhere and figure out what's going on during the initial registration when the ZCM agent installs.

You shouldn't have to remove the cache directory immediately after install, because it won't have much (if anything) in it.

The ZCM agent needs to install as "administrator" level I believe (if your users are "users" and not admins, it won't install properly--or so my docs tell me for ZCM imaging training and customizing sysprep).

I know I started simple when we did our migration from ZFD to ZCM.

I worked with the image part first to make sure that it would install the ZCM agent (via sysprep on XP, it just runs the .exe on the first user login part) and verified it showed up properly in the ZCC and that it got the proper ZEN Explorer Policies and Location information.

Once I was satisfied that worked reliably, I added in my ZCM policies for GPO and Remote Control. Reimaged and made sure all that worked.

Then I created my bundles, assigned them to the user without any schedule and made sure I could manually run them (if it won't run manually, it sure wont' run during a schedule).

Then, set them as a schedule and re-imaged some more and made sure that it all deployed successfully after login

Granted--our users ARE admins, so I can get away with that. I know that when using dynamic administrator with device-assigned bundles behave slightly differently (if you want to deploy them when the device starts up, but before the user logs in--for example).

But let's see if you can narrow down just the initial agent install and registration after first reboot (may need to temporarily set your zone to debug logging). I suspect once you fix that, the rest will just work.
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I will look at this next week with the logging turned on. I am wondering if perhaps the reason for the registration issue is that the system already exist in the zcc. The laptop would be a reimage. I noticed that one class was changed from last years seniors to this years 7th graders and the unr / reg process was done due to this. This set of computers seem to have a lower failure rate then the laptops that were just reimaged and allowed to move forward.

During my image process I require the techs to log in after zenworks is installed. Our AV is deployed by ZCM so they have to log in and verify that side of things. They would have administrative access at the local level. I moved away from teachers having admin access and the students haven't had it since I took over the position. I just think it causes to many problems that I don't want to deal with. They aren't happy about it but with the limited resources I have it is worth the fight.

Do you see a lot of bundle deployment failures? I can't say I see a lot of workstation fail deploying bundles but I have a lot of bundles that fail for various reasons. Pain in the but when you can't just get the device and work on it to resolve the problem due to the laptop potentially being with the user off campus.

Thanks for the information.

Richard
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.