matt3680 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

ZAPP launcher takes focus on scheduled refresh

We recently upgraded from ZCM 11.x to ZCM 2017 sp4 and on Windows 10 (1703, 1903). The new ZAPP launcher is running and scheduled for a full timed refresh every 4 hours. 

We're seeing that when the timed refresh occurs, the ZAPP launcher window is regaining focus. So if I'm typing away in Word (where Word is the top window, over ZAPP launcher), then ZAPP launcher does a scheduled refresh, suddenly the ZAPP launcher takes focus and goes in front of Word.

Has anyone seen this before? Since it's set for 4 hours it's harder to troubleshoot, but once school starts and all teachers/students are back, I expect to get more calls about this.

TIA, 

Michelle

Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZAPP launcher takes focus on scheduled refresh

I can't duplicate the issue.

Set my Refresh to every 10 minutes and ZAPP does not steal.  Nor on running refresh from the Z-Icon or from the command-line.

If I had to guess, someone built a bundle to Launch ZAPP on refresh.  ZAPP should be started using the RUN registry keys it creates for ZAPP upon install.  Launching it via other methods may cause it to not launch as expected due to timing issues.

0 Likes
matt3680 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

I noticed it more on Win 10 1903 than on 1703, but since we've had our ZCM system and bundles for years, it could definitely be some bundle doing that. I'll search harder and try to see what's going on, but I appreciate the place to look.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Along with verifying that nothing is explicitly calling ZAPP on Refresh....

Perhaps compare...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout  on Devices that Do vs Those that do not.

Just google that setting to see what it does and what may work for you....

Set it too high and when a new program is explicitly started...it may not take focus.  The opposite problem of programs stealing focus when they should not.

If something is calling ZAPP on refresh....nothing you do with that key will help....at least w/o setting the value so high it causes programs explicitly started to often fail to take focus.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.