epoe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 10.3.3 - cannot register new installations

This is a problem that recently has reared its ugly head. Installing ZCM 10.3.3 agent on XP Pro SP3 workstations appears to work; however, the workstations do not register with the ZCM server. Newly imaged workstations (with ZCM 10.3.3 installed some time ago) register automatically. Taking a known-good machine, I can "zac unr" and "zac reg ..." with success. Yet, installing ZCM today on a fresh computer, I can't register the workstation.

I cannot think of what changed or exactly when this week this problem started. The machines that had ZCM 10.3.3 installed prior to this problem starting are behaving properly. I can unregister and reregister without failure.

"zac cc" followed by "zac reg https://zcm.domain.tld" returns the following error:[INDENT]Unable to register with the server at: https://zcm.domain.tld.
Service Error. code: -21, message: Could not determine device type from <OS> tag: unsupported
[/INDENT]

The log file includes the following, which makes me think the pre-agent installer didn't install the sqlite stack:[INDENT][DEBUG] [07/28/2011 14:35:41.968] [1912] [ZenworksWindowsService] [19] [] [ZenCache] [] [Exception getting object record for key ZoneConfig:Realms
Type: System.DllNotFoundException
Message: Unable to load DLL 'sqlite3': The referenced assembly is not installed on your system. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B3)
Stack Trace:
at Novell.Zenworks.Cache.Sqlite.Sqlite.sqlite3_open(String dbname, IntPtr& handle)
at Novell.Zenworks.Cache.Sqlite.SqliteConnection.Open()
at Novell.Zenworks.Cache.SqliteEntryInfoProvider.GetObjectEntry(String key, UserContext owner)

] [] []
[/INDENT]

Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks,
Eric
Labels (2)
0 Likes
5 Replies
patrick_reeder Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM 10.3.3 - cannot register new installations

I've actually noticed that since 10.3 if you install the agent from the zenworks-setup page, I've had to manually register it with the zone after the reboot. Used to register automatically.

DEV - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (2 Primaries & 2 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7) PROD - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (5 Primaries & 11 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7 ~7500 Managed Devices)
0 Likes
epoe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The machines that work have been self-registering. Before I push up an image, I run "zac fsg -d" and all machines that get that image self-register. It's just the machines I have installed ZCM on in the last few days that throw the error when attempting to register.

I have not run any updates on the primaries since I installed and deployed 10.3.3 last month.
0 Likes
epoe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This problem has been resolved.

I had some funky files in the Windows Side-by-side folder that were artifacts of a previous wonky install of a different application. I had experienced issues with these specific files before that were resolved by removing them; they just weren't removed from these images that I was doing the upgrade from Zen 7 to ZCM 10.

After removing these two files, ZCM was able to be registered without error.

For the morbidly curious, the two files I removed are:
c:\windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_x-ww_6f74963e.manifest
c:\windows\WinSxS\Policies\x86_policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_x-ww_b7353f75\9.0.30729.1.policy
0 Likes
slundy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

epoe;2125197 wrote:
This problem has been resolved.

I had some funky files in the Windows Side-by-side folder that were artifacts of a previous wonky install of a different application. I had experienced issues with these specific files before that were resolved by removing them; they just weren't removed from these images that I was doing the upgrade from Zen 7 to ZCM 10.

After removing these two files, ZCM was able to be registered without error.

For the morbidly curious, the two files I removed are:
c:\windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_x-ww_6f74963e.manifest
c:\windows\WinSxS\Policies\x86_policy.9.0.Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_x-ww_b7353f75\9.0.30729.1.policy

I have to ask, how did you figure out that those files were related to a previous zenworks install? I had the same issue, but didn't have the same files. They were close in name, but then I was installing 10.3.4, not 10.3.3. I removed the two files, the manifest had a different number at the end, but the policy file was the same name. Thank you so much for that tip, it saved me a few hours of head scratching and saved the customer from a re-image.
0 Likes
epoe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm glad my tip helped you out!

The files were put in place by a bad Zen7 snapshot I had made that didn't have time to be thoroughly tested before deployment. Soon after deploying my snapshot-based app, my clients started complaining about OpenOffice throwing errors when trying to launch it. So I figured something was up with the unrelated application I had deployed via Zen7 and poked through the snapshot. I saw the two files previously mentioned and questioned their place in the snapshot. Upon deleting the the two files, OpenOffice launched without a problem.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.