Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ZCM 10 app distribution growing pains

thsundel;1980743 wrote:
This is the difference with ZDM an ZCM, you can't assign ZCM managed workstations rights to a NSS share for example. So if users are not admins on their workstations then you need to run the bundle install actions with DAU or system account and these accounts won't have access to the NSS share so it will fail.

Thomas

Okay, so just because I'm a dense here:

You're stating that if you assign a bundle to a device (as opposed to a user), that the rights thingies get all mucked up? (as compared to possibly ZFD)

But if you were to assign a bundle to a USER, then it would work "okay"?

Again, just want to make sure I'm understanding (we don't currently assign anything to devices, just users, so that's why I ask).
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

kjhurni;1980750 wrote:
Okay, so just because I'm a dense here:

You're stating that if you assign a bundle to a device (as opposed to a user), that the rights thingies get all mucked up? (as compared to possibly ZFD)

But if you were to assign a bundle to a USER, then it would work "okay"?

Again, just want to make sure I'm understanding (we don't currently assign anything to devices, just users, so that's why I ask).

It doesn't matter if you assign the bundle to device or user. Like you said everything works nice if your users are "local admins" on the workstation and these users/workstations have rights to read the nss share where the applications setup files are stored. But if users are not admins on the workstations they don't have enough rights to install some/most applications so you need to configure the bundle to install as system or dau. When you configure the bundle to install with either dau/system accounts it will fail because these accounts can't read the msi/setup.exe that is located on a "protected" nss share.

As a workaround I have configured a samba share that has no protection, every user can read from the share without any authentication but this is not ideal.

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
christianlessar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sorry to bring this thread up - but we are starting to learn ZCM and we face the exact same issue. For us it is not possible to have an unprotected share... And we can't hardcore a net map action in all our bundles... and I don't want to copy the source file locally before starting the installation (stupid idea). And I don't want to use the content repo either as it's way too cumbersome....

Basically all I want to my non-admin users to be able to install msi and/or setup.exe from a network share. As simple as that! I believe this should be a standard feature for a product like ZCM!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

christianlessard;2020001 wrote:
Sorry to bring this thread up - but we are starting to learn ZCM and we face the exact same issue. For us it is not possible to have an unprotected share... And we can't hardcore a net map action in all our bundles... and I don't want to copy the source file locally before starting the installation (stupid idea). And I don't want to use the content repo either as it's way too cumbersome....

Basically all I want to my non-admin users to be able to install msi and/or setup.exe from a network share. As simple as that! I believe this should be a standard feature for a product like ZCM!

Totally agree and this is not an issue if your in a MAD shop I think but in an eDir environment you are scr*wed.. If none of the above suggestion you wrote is a solution for you then your out of luck, if no one else have come up with a solution?

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

christianlessard;2020001 wrote:

I've heard (some time ago) the possibility to enhance the dynamic admin to be able to provide network credentials along with it has been considered... It always helps to give requests more load by adding one yourself : http://novell.com/rms

-Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

magic31;2020181 wrote:
I've heard (some time ago) the possibility to enhance the dynamic admin to be able to provide network credentials along with it has been considered... It always helps to give requests more load by adding one yourself : http://novell.com/rms

-Willem

This feature which IMO is crusial (since the repo is not ideal for large/many files applications ) was "reported" soon after ZCM was released ( http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-bundles/282639-msi-package-delivered-through-zenworks-invalid.html ) and still this feature is not in the product nor is it in ZCM 11 beta2..

Submitting a RMS doesn't help the situation since this feature is needed now and also when version 10.0 was released. This is one of the major things that have kept us from migrating to ZCM for over a year now.

Thomas
0 Likes
Michael_Fleming Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;2020193 wrote:
This feature which IMO is crusial (since the repo is not ideal for large/many files applications ) was "reported" soon after ZCM was released ( http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/zenworks/configuration-management/zcm-bundles/282639-msi-package-delivered-through-zenworks-invalid.html ) and still this feature is not in the product nor is it in ZCM 11 beta2..
Thomas

The ZCM cont-repo brings some new features but actually introduces more work in the long run.

The company I am at now has a policy that ALL installed apps must be managed by Zenworks and because the way the cont-repo works they are needing to package these 1000's of apps into MSI's so Zenworks can handle them properly. A major pain and ongoing administration task!

The only alternatives are upload the .exe's into the content-repo (download locally, install, remove) OR not use the content-repo (lose replication and the DAU doesn't work properly as seen).

Looks like ZCM11 doesn't solve these issues either 😞
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

thsundel;2020193 wrote:
Submitting a RMS doesn't help the situation since this feature is needed now and also when version 10.0 was released. This is one of the major things that have kept us from migrating to ZCM for over a year now.

I'd like to think that depends on how much pressure/demand there is for this feature. In that sense, the more that add an RMS/request for this.. the better. As for not having it now... not much one can do about it... other than trying to get it in asap.

We've been working around the limitation by setting up a simple Windows server or CIFS share that allows anonymous (read) access. The server is not integrated into AD or other and uses separate accounts from the other systems. The MSI's we place on that share don't have sensitive information in them (just general installs with some extra configuration) - ATM for our sites this is acceptable... not ideal, true, but workable until other workable options get implemented.

-Willem
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Yes, PLEASE all of you that want this, submit an RMS request and make sure you list your # of users affected and state the business case for why you have to have this feature (security reasoning, etc.) I'll try to bring this up to Novell's attention again (trust me, there's quite a few major issues that still haven't been addressed since ZCM 10.x came out and everyone who knows me, knows that I'll continue to nag/complain loudly about it until it does get fixed--haha)
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Kevin,

oh yeah make more work for me 😉

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

spond;2020900 wrote:
Kevin,

oh yeah make more work for me 😉

--

Shaun Pond

Now if only I can convince Novell to make Shaun the decider of what gets implemented or not.

🙂

Would that constitute a raise?
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Kevin,

🙂

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
mvs_ruc_dk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One for every zenworks user...
0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just as an FYI for those of you who are going the route of using net use to map a share to the dynamic administrator / system user...

Across the board we started getting "System Error 5" "Access Denied" errors for any bundle that did this...

The thing is, it would work fine for a little bit but then would start failing on a given particular machine.

We've therefore migrated the vast majority of our bundles to either launch as currently logged in user (user must be an admin to install), or to copy locally and launch as a dynamic admin or system account.

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth...
0 Likes
hans211 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i couldnt understand, why u cant just say "do bundle as: <DomainAccount>" if the users dont get admin rights it just doesnt work...

some of my problems would be solve if i just can deinstall bundles...

If you install from Content repo it works.. (so far i just tested small apps... =-/ )
If i say install network msi with the Option "make juser lokal admin" it installs too, but how can i deinstall those msi packets?

I got the german Version, there is a checkbox at deinstall (analogous: dont deinstall it the bundle was deleted) but i dont need the Checkbox... he never deinstall... we tried here every Option... =-(
Does anybody now how i cant deinstall MSI-Bundles installed from content repo oder network???
Or is this a bug? can i report it?

i really think of change to System manager...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.