bnrn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 11 Boot image instructions

I thought I should share some information on how I made my bootable ZCM 11 USB memory stick that automaticly starts and restores an offline image.

As I didnt find any complete easy way of doing this it took me three days of trail and error to get what wanted.

I have tried this on 4-16gb and it has so far worked everytime.

This is what I did:

1. Format USB memory stick as fat32

2. Run unetbootin-win-549.exe

3. Point out bootcd.iso (found in zenworks driver updates) and execute

4. make a img folder on usb stick

5. add "install=hd:/dev/sdb1 root=/dev/sdb1" to every command line that
starting with "append " in syslinux.cfg

--------------syslinux.cfg-------------
efault menu.c32
prompt 0
menu title UNetbootin
timeout 3

label unetbootindefault
menu label Default
kernel /ubnkern
append initrd=/ubninit ramdisk_size=67584 splash=silent mode=2 CDBOOT=YES showopts vga=0x0314 install=hd:/dev/sdb1 root=/dev/sdb1
label ubnentry0
menu label linux
kernel /boot/i386/loader/linux
append initrd=/boot/i386/loader/initrd ramdisk_size=67584 splash=silent mode=2 CDBOOT=YES showopts vga=0x0314 install=hd:/dev/sdb1 root=/dev/sdb1
---------------------------------------

6. add three lines in the bottom section of the settings.txt file.

mkdir mnt/usb
mount
dev/sdb1 mnt/usb
export
IMGCMD="mnt/usb/win7.s"

7. Make a win7.s script file and here you should enter the name of the image that you copied to the img folder

--------win7.s
img -restore -local mnt/usb/img/win7x86.zmg
shutdown
-----------
Finsihed

Side note : Only use Notepad++ and when saving save in unix format

Problems that I encountered:

When using the "img -restore -local mnt/usb/img/win7x86.zmg" in the settings.txt instead of pointing out a script file the imageing process looped and restored the same image file over and over again in all eternity. Dont know why

Adding script files to addfiles on memory stick dont work, this seems to be a know error that could be fixed if you know Linux, I dont so i put the image script directly in the fat32 part of the memory instead.

I hoped I have helped someone out there to save some time.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
bnrn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM 11 Boot image instructions

I should add that the win7.s script file created in part 7 should be saved in same directory as settings.txt and syslinux.cfg
0 Likes
PruittJ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I found one nice "how to" at https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/zcm-11-usb-imaging/ but when I use it I get a request for CD1. I tried your method (minus the win7.s script) and it seems to work but the system looks for an image somewhere first. I wanted it to bring up the IMG interface automatically but in manual mode so that it does not install an image.

Thank you for the instructions. It was quite helpful.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

PruittJ,

an official method is expected to be included with ZCM 11.3...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
nlandas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Shaun,

I see that the documentation for 11.3 mentions that they now support a USB flash drive as a UEFI boot source. However, I'm not finding the page that explains how to create it. I could just be, being a bone head but do you have official instructions or a link to official instructions on how to create that ZCM Imaging USB Flash Boot. We've tried third party USB boot solutions before but they didn't work well. We've been sticking with CDROM. Now with Windows tablets without CDROM we'd like to use flash drives.

Any push in the right direction is appreciated. Thanks.

-Nyle

NOPE, I'm a bonehead did another search with different terms and think that I found it...
https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks113/zen11_cm_preboot_imaging/data/bvb2jzr.html#b18mqiv1

shaunpond;2294958 wrote:
PruittJ,

an official method is expected to be included with ZCM 11.3...

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nlandas,

if you do a search for "usb" in the preboot doc you'll see http://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks113/zen11_cm_preboot_imaging/data/bve6kpr.html

--

Shaun Pond
newly reminted as a Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

PruittJ wrote:

>
> I found one nice "how to" at
> https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/zcm-11-usb-imaging/
> but when I use it I get a request for CD1. I tried your method (minus
> the win7.s script) and it seems to work but the system looks for an
> image somewhere first. I wanted it to bring up the IMG interface
> automatically but in manual mode so that it does not install an image.
>
> Thank you for the instructions. It was quite helpful.

So did you get where you wanted to with this?

--
--
Niels
A true red devil...

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by
clicking on the star below
A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.