sirguy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 11 Support For Windows Embedded 7 (WES 7)

When will ZCM 11.x Support for WES 7 be released? I don't see it on the supported device list and I haven't been able to get running properly in my limited testing so far.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM 11 Support For Windows Embedded 7 (WES 7)

Sirguy,

let me ask the developers...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

sirguy;2251870 wrote:
When will ZCM 11.x Support for WES 7 be released? I don't see it on the supported device list and I haven't been able to get running properly in my limited testing so far.

Having not heard of Windows Embedded Standard 7 (WES7) until a few weeks ago I'm curious as to your use case.

Thanks.
0 Likes
sirguy Absent Member.
Absent Member.

WES7 was released in April 2010. My company just recently bought devices with this OS since XP embedded is no longer available. So my use case is we need to manage these things and it would be nice to have everything in one place. It sounds like this version of Windows 7 has flown beneath your Development Radar.

Our thin clients are the model HP T610 and ship with .net versions 3.x and 4.x already installed. Setup fails at the very end of the process.(99% complete)
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sirguy,

OK, at the moment, this isn't something we want to document as supported, because there are limitations such as:
* Fresh Agent install on WES7_64 OS takes dual reboot to complete the installation.
* Incorrect OS target detection for WES7 x64 agent causes user management installation to fail
* WES7_64 and Posready7_64 agents are identified as x86 agents in ZCC after fresh install

support is targeted for 11.3 - and that's about 9 months away...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Shaun,
I've been asked the same question recently about win7 embedded as well

I know there are obviously issue with the 64 bit edition - what about the 32 bit edition (if such a thing even exists), do you know if the ZCM agent will work on 32 bit win7 embedded (regardless of whether it's supported or not)?

unfortunately for us 9 months is too long to wait...

0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Gleach1,

at this point you know as much as I do...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Am going to have a play around with the 32 bit edition of win7 embedded today, just for my own interests

ZCM would at least support imaging a thin client so long as the thin client can boot to the imaging system though I would imagine (or hope at least)

0 Likes
gleach1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just for the sake of those watching this thread

Have done some testing using win7 32 bit embedded in a VM

Did an install of it with a minimal setup like athin client, this failed on the zenworks actions msi complaining about not being able to register the msrdp.ocx file

Ran up another install of W7E, this time with everything enabled. THe agent did isntall this time and registered to my zone

So far the following things appear to work normally:
Launch, verify and uninstall of bundles (both MSI and exe)
Able to log into your realm (in our case AD)
remote control works
nal window works, as well as the agent screen (all shows registered / managed etc)
inventory and quick tasks both work

I think considering all those work for the most part all the normal agent functions should work, just that it won't be officially novell supported...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.