ohico Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

ZCM 17.2.0a - Devices are missing until refresh, gone again

Our help desk staff are reporting that some devices are not visible in ZCC.
If they refresh the device from the workstation's agent it then becomes temporarily visible in ZCC.
A while later they find that it has disappeared again.

Any idea what's happening here?

Thanks,
Marc
Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ZCM 17.2.0a - Devices are missing until refresh, gone again

On 08.04.2019 15:56, ohico wrote:
>
> Our help desk staff are reporting that some devices are not visible in
> ZCC.
> If they refresh the device from the workstation's agent it then becomes
> temporarily visible in ZCC.
> A while later they find that it has disappeared again.
>
> Any idea what's happening here?

Sounds like they have been imaged and duplicated while registered with
ZCM, aka you have multiple machines sharing the same identity.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Re: ZCM 17.2.0a - Devices are missing until refresh, gone ag

Thanks, that's very likely, any suggestions on how to fix?
Marc
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

An SR may be most useful.....probably difficult to troubleshoot in the forums....but I concur that the root cause is almost certainly as stated.

#1 - Identifying and Fixing what is wrong with your imaging process. (Probably not running "zac fsg -d". When cloning/duplicating a VM...Also clear the ZISD...but that is normally only necessary with imaging if not using ZENworks Imaging.)

#2 - "zac fsg -d", clear ZISD, perhaps deleting the existing device object, waiting a few minutes for the device to cleanly delete, and then registering fresh will likely resolve but......will likely "break" devices in the process as any device that "was" sharing may no longer be sharing. If you do not delete, then other devices linked may still be linked.

ohico;2497973 wrote:
Thanks, that's very likely, any suggestions on how to fix?
Marc
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks for the info.

I've asked them to run "zac fsg" to see if multiple devices have the same FSG.
This is likely what's happened as they are using something other than ZENworks to image a new batch of Windows 10 workstations.

I've asked them to do the following to fix. From my tests though it's not causing the FSG to change on my computer.
1- zac unreg
(This deletes the device from ZENworks from my test)
2- zac fsg -d
3- zac reg https://.....
Hopefully this will be enough to get the workstation registered with a new FSG.

I'm not sure what you mean by devices that are "sharing". I don't recall using any such feature.

Thanks,
Marc
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

If they are using non-ZCM imaging, they need to clear "ZENworks Information Data" as well prior uploading an image for distribution. (Sector Based Imaging Products most likely to cause this issue vs File Based Imaging (such as ImageX))
But after a device is impacted, they may need to do that as well....otherwise a device may use that info to restore its incorrect identity as well.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor.

I'm trying to find the steps that will show a new unique FSG.

zac fsg
zac unregister
ziswin.exe (to clear ZISD)
zac fsg -d
zac cc
zac register https://ohizcm1.ottawaheart.ca:444

If I run "zac fsg" again it still shows the same ID.
If there's something else we can do, please let me know.

Thanks,
Marc
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Delete the Object from the ZCC prior to re-registering or make sure it is gone after you unregister.
....Otherwise it will reconcile back to the device object in the zone, since that object was most likely most recently updated from the PC on which you are working.
And you may need to wait a short time after deleting, as the device is fully deleted....this takes time as inventory and many other tables may need to be cleared.
Maybe it is OK to register right away again....
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.