pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 2017 - 17.0.4.2098 - Wrong Registration Operating System

We have an issue where a workstation gets replaced. If the staff does not unregister the original Windows 7 workstation and shuts it down and re-assigns the IP address to the new Windows 10 workstation. The workstation is "merged" with the original registered object. It keeps the original Operating system for the object and it never gets updated. Thus creating issues with assigned bundles / patches etc....

If you run unregister the device and then register with: zac reg -g you get a new guid, this resolves it and gets the system in with the correct Operating system.

I have tried numerous things from ZCC, refresh, inventory, reset, etc... Nothing seems to clean this up without the above -g for the guid.

Settings under

ZCC > Configuration > Registration

are set to:

Device Naming Template

• Name given to new machines: ${IPAddress} - ${HostName}

Device Dyname Rename

• Enable automatic renaming of devices = ENABLED

Reconcile Settings
Indicate which device attributes will be used in reconciliation

• Serial Number = ENABLED
  • MAC Address = ENABLED
  • Machine Name = DISABLED
  • Enable Differentiation = ENABLED

I feel like the Reconcilation is not happening correctly.

Any ideas!

~Patrick
Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZCM 2017 - 17.0.4.2098 - Wrong Registration Operating Sy

What is the Same Between the New and Old Machines Except IP Address?

Is it the Same Hardware (Re-Imaged Perhaps)
New Hardware and Same OS Name?
Any Data Copy between the Devices....Especially ZCM Folder?

FYI - There are quite a few significant fixes since ZCM 17.0.............
Don't recall any Reconciliation related issues but........

Major Fixes to both ZAPP and the Content System.
17.2 would be a strongly recommended upgraded....even if you don't upgraded all endpoints right away.
0 Likes
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nothing that I can think of other than the Monitor, keyboard and mouse. Basically we are replacing a bunch of OptiPlex 390's with OptiPlex 3050's. So the computer is a completely new machine. New hardware, New Image, new operating system, new computer name.

As far as updating, It was I posted the wrong version number was looking at something else.

I believe this is the current release?

ZCM : 17.2.0.0
ZAM : 17.2.0.895
ZPM : 17.2.0.930
ZESM : 17.2.0.865
ZFDE : 17.2.0.865
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes, that looks much better in regards to version.
Again, I don't think version matters for this issue, but will resolve many other little items vs the .0 version.

However, I suspect the exact facts surrounding what I happening will end up being a little different than what the support staff believe is happening.
Reconciliation does not use IP Address in any way shape or form.
This would cause chaos, since in many environments devices will swap around their IP addresses daily due to short DHCP Lease times.

Most likely, there is an issue with how your Windows 10 Image was created and it contains the identity of a specific device....
Thus as images are restored, they are taking on the identity that is captured in the image.

Auto-Rename may also be enabled, causing the device to keep renaming itself...which may hide the fact it is sharing an identity.
I suspect the claim about unregistering the initial device is a complete red herring and plays no role in anything...though they may believe that....

However, unregistering and registering the newly imaged device could unlink it from the duped device.
The mere fact this works shows that it is not incorrectly resolving to the initial device.....if there was a reconciliation issue it would go back again to the old device.

What is your Imaging Solution? (Traditional, WinPE, Ghost, etc...?)
Is the ZCM Agent Pre-Built into the Image?
0 Likes
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2483222 wrote:
Yes, that looks much better in regards to version.
Again, I don't think version matters for this issue, but will resolve many other little items vs the .0 version.

However, I suspect the exact facts surrounding what I happening will end up being a little different than what the support staff believe is happening.
Reconciliation does not use IP Address in any way shape or form.
This would cause chaos, since in many environments devices will swap around their IP addresses daily due to short DHCP Lease times.

Most likely, there is an issue with how your Windows 10 Image was created and it contains the identity of a specific device....
Thus as images are restored, they are taking on the identity that is captured in the image.

Auto-Rename may also be enabled, causing the device to keep renaming itself...which may hide the fact it is sharing an identity.
I suspect the claim about unregistering the initial device is a complete red herring and plays no role in anything...though they may believe that....

However, unregistering and registering the newly imaged device could unlink it from the duped device.
The mere fact this works shows that it is not incorrectly resolving to the initial device.....if there was a reconciliation issue it would go back again to the old device.

What is your Imaging Solution? (Traditional, WinPE, Ghost, etc...?)
Is the ZCM Agent Pre-Built into the Image?

Currently we do not image the windows 10 devices. They are fresh builds. Its pretty quick to do.

No the agent is not built in.

Typical Load

Is boot from Windows Bootable media, install the OS, Update all software and drivers built in to windows.

Install ZCM Agent, register, run a WindowsBaseInstalls Bundle, run the patch policy, run windows update, Shutdown and its good to go.

We then take it to the location its going to go, change the IP to the same as the old one. Install printers if needed etc...

that's pretty much it.

Its like its merging the two workstations somehow.

T
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Definitely recommend an SR, because I cannot even think of a theoretical way this can happen.
Does not mean it's not.....but can't fathom how...…….

pwolfe;2483238 wrote:
Currently we do not image the windows 10 devices. They are fresh builds. Its pretty quick to do.

No the agent is not built in.

Typical Load

Is boot from Windows Bootable media, install the OS, Update all software and drivers built in to windows.

Install ZCM Agent, register, run a WindowsBaseInstalls Bundle, run the patch policy, run windows update, Shutdown and its good to go.

We then take it to the location its going to go, change the IP to the same as the old one. Install printers if needed etc...

that's pretty much it.

Its like its merging the two workstations somehow.

T
0 Likes
pwolfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I agree, Does not make sense!

Will work on recreating it from scratch and then open the SR
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.