robkoon81 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM 2017 appliance Online Update settings

What is the trick to get this to work? I login to the appliance as zenadmin then choose Micro Focus Customer Center, enter in my email address and activation key, click register, but get an RPC Communication error; An error occurred while communicating with the server. Status code: 500 (The call failed on the server; see server log for details)
Where do I find the server log for details?
I could see where maybe it could be a communications issue, but it seems to see updates in the ZCC for available system updates?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
16 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: ZCM 2017 appliance Online Update settings

robkoon81;2473800 wrote:
What is the trick to get this to work? I login to the appliance as zenadmin then choose Micro Focus Customer Center, enter in my email address and activation key, click register, but get an RPC Communication error; An error occurred while communicating with the server. Status code: 500 (The call failed on the server; see server log for details)
I could see where maybe it could be a communications issue, but it seems to see updates in the ZCC for available system updates?

Maybe this: https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7018662

Thomas
0 Likes
robkoon81 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I will try that. Thanks
0 Likes
robkoon81 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I guess that was not my problem. The clock file does exist in /etc/sysconfig/
I should mention that I work for a consortium of four small school districts and all four of the appliances are doing this. I looked at the suse_register log file as mentioned in that support document (7018662) and here is a few warnings lines of what it listed:

2018-01-22 09:13:31 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug1] Generating new credentials.
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug1] Credential file created: 3ea49bbb1dcb458289f7c0fa81d9766c
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug1] Execute command: /usr/bin/zypper --non-interactive ref --service
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug1] Execute command exit(0): There are no enabled services defined.
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug1] Use 'zypper addservice' or 'zypper modifyservice' commands to add or enable services.
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug3] Execute command result: Warning: There are no enabled repositories defined.
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug3] Use 'zypper addrepo' or 'zypper modifyrepo' commands to add or enable repositories.
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug1] GUID:3ea49bbb1dcb458289f7c0fa81d9766c
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug1] Execute command: /usr/bin/zypper --no-refresh --quiet --xmlout --non-interactive products --installed-only
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug1] Execute command exit(0):
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug3] Execute command result: <?xml version='1.0'?>
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug3] <stream>
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug3] <product-list>
2018-01-22 09:13:32 SUSE::SRPrivate - [debug3] <product name="ZENworks" version="2017" release="0.0" epoch="0" arch="x86_64" vendor="Novell Inc." summary="ZENworks 2017" repo="@System" productline="sles" registerrelease="1" shortname="ZEN2017" flavor="" isbase="true" installed="true"><endoflife time_t="0" text="0"/><registerflavor/><description>ZENworks 2017 Appliance based on Common Appliance Infrastructure </description></product>
0 Likes
robkoon81 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I should mention that I also get Telemetry errors just about every time I log into the ZCC on these appliances, so there must be something I am missing for the communication setup on these? It is odd that it does see Available System Updates in the ZCC though, so that portion of communications is working to the outside world.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Looks as if the servers are running ZCM 17.0 w/o Update 1 applied.

Update 2 is now available on download.novell.com as of this morning.
(There is always an intentional delay of a few days before it appears in the ZCC.)

I would recommend ensuring the ZCM code was current and then try and troubleshoot appliance updates.
The majority of the Security and Stability fixes will come via ZCM updates not appliance OS updates since the OS itself is stripped so bare since it is an appliance.
0 Likes
robkoon81 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That is why I am trying to get this working. Is there a better way to update this appliance to Update 1 or 2?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

What you are trying to fix has nothing to do with upgrading to ZCM 2017 Update 1 or Update 2.
The Online Appliance Upgrade section is to find and apply Linux Fixes to the bare bones Linux Appliance OS.
It does not actually upgrade ZCM.

Update 2 is now available for download on Novell Patch Finder....
https://download.microfocus.com/Download?buildid=qLKrEhi8Y-Q~

It should appear in the ZCC System Update tab as well in a few days.
0 Likes
robkoon81 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the clarification on what the online update does. The system update section in the ZCC is just for client and satellite server updates, correct? Thanks for your help!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No, The System Update Section is for Primaries as well.

The confusion may be was that in the past, MAJOR Version releases (Media Based) were not done via System Update but via Media.

11.4.0 Upgrade - Used Media on Primaries
11.4.1 Upgrade - Primaries upgraded via ZCC
11.4.2 Upgrade - Primaries upgraded via ZCC
11.4.3 Upgrade - Primaries upgraded via ZCC
2017.0 Upgrade - Primaries upgraded via Media
2017.1 Upgrade - Primaries upgraded via Media.....

One thought I heard was that future media releases would only be for fresh server installs.
If there was a "ZCM 2019" that was a media release, you ZCM 2017 servers could still use the ZCC to upgrade.
However, we will have to see if that happens or not....
I'm not sure when the next "Media" release will be.

ZCM 2017 Update 3 due sometime in 1H 2018 is not expected to be media as far as I know.....
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Correction...

2017.0 Upgrade - Primaries upgraded via Media
2017.1 Upgrade - Primaries upgraded via ZCC....
0 Likes
robkoon81 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Craig. This really helps
0 Likes
jlatch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm getting these same errors when trying to register for Online Updates on my ZRS 6.2.1 Appliance. I've searched all over and the documentation is lacking. I would expect MF to provide more details on how to properly configure your new appliance all the way through the steps required to get Online Updates working.
0 Likes
davidkrotil Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Are you trying register to MF or local SMT server ?
0 Likes
sirjohnson
New Member.

So I was having the same problem and had an open SR. I attended a ZEN conference yesterday and asked about a resolution.

I was told to make sure NTP was working correctly, both on the appliance and on the VM.

I have 3 appliances, and 2 of them I had to do the time zone change to get it registered. And after it registered they did one update and then had problems after. The last one I couldn't get registered even after the time code change.

In my case the trick was NTP on the appliance. I had put in two sources, one an ip of the local OES server and then a pool.ntp.org one separated by a space.

Once I removed the ntp.org source I was able to register and update. Not sure if it's the multiple sources or it's the mixed IP and url that it doesn't like, but I'd suggest just have one ntp source.

Hope it helps.

Rich

robkoon81;2473800 wrote:
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.