matt3680 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

ZCM 2017 change IP to match old ZCM 11 server

I have one ZCM 11 server/internal Sybase db (no secondary servers) on an IP address on Windows 2008. I built up a Windows Server 2012 server with ZCM 2017 server/external SQL Server (no secondary servers) on a different IP address. ZCM 2017 server works great, and I even did the subscribe/share to get all the bundles transferred over.

However...I have 10,000 workstations connecting to ZCM, and we use it heavily for the NAL window; all our devices (Windows) have the ZEN agent 11.x installed. I want to upgrade to ZCM 2017 with the least amount of disruption, and without having to go around to run something on all 10,000 devices (and many are off and won't be turned on until a week before school starts). Additionally, we have a large Cisco network so for imaging purposes I added an iphelper line to my switches for the ZCM 11 server IP address. But I think f I just change my router's iphelper line to the new ZCM 2017 IP address when I cut over, PXE communication should switch over to the new ZCM 2017 server.

I'm looking for advice on best next step for switching over from my ZCM 11 server to ZCM 2017, with the least amount of work to do on workstations.

Is it just a matter of doing a zac reg to the new server's IP/FQDN, and pushing that command via GPO on login?

TIA,
Michelle
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZCM 2017 change IP to match old ZCM 11 server

Normally Zones are upgraded from 11.4.x to ZCM 2017 rather than creating a new zone and moving devices over to that.
The creation of a new zone is not something normally recommended.

However, this TID could help move devices from one zone to another.
It could even be done via a bundle on the source zone.

Again....Personally I would recommend Upgrading the Existing Zone rather than Migrating to a new Zone.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Here is the TID that I forget...

https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7000620

Again....I want to be clear....I would NEVER Create a New Zone for Upgrade Purposes.....
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Ok....but to upgrade my server from 11.4.3 to 2017 also meant trying to get from Server 2008 to Server 2012, plus I needed to move my database from Sybase to External SQL since my database is so large and Novell has recommended that a database my size would work better with external SQL database.

Or do you mean there's a way I can put my new 2017 server into the current 11.4.3 Zone, and then just upgrade the current zone? Since my 11.4.3 server is in VM I know I can take a snapshot before trying anything, although I have to be careful of any workstations connecting to it while I work through the process. I would like to upgrade if possible, but the fact that I'm trying to move to Server 2012 and an external SQL database at the same time makes it more complicated.

What general steps would you recommend?
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

I may go ahead and snapshot my current 11.4.3 machine and do just the Windows upgrade from 2008 to 2012 this weekend, to finish that step, and then allocate more memory to the VM server.

Then I can pick another weekend to try to move the database from internal Sybase to external MS SQL (https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks114/zen11_sys_db_mgmt/data/buez3dw.html), still under 11.4.3.

Then after that all works, I can pick another weekend to upgrade to ZCM 2017. Since the 11.4.2+ agents should all still work with ZCM 2017, there is not a need for an immediate agent upgrade, I believe.

Would those be the recommended steps? I really only use ZCM for bundles in NAL to show the user shortcuts or to push out software, and PXE/WinPE imaging.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.