donasutton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM Icons do nothing when clicked

Greetings,

Windows 7sp1
ZCM 11.2.1

Icons which are assigned to machine (or user) do nothing when clicked. For instance, i have a simple bundle pointing to iexplore.exe. DLU logs in, desktop loads fine. User clicks icon after seeing NALWIN load and machine does absolutely nothing. Digging through Start Menu and selecting a Windows shortcut (.lnk) will open the app as soon as it's clicked.

Machine is a Lenovo m71 Quad core /4Gigs/7200RPM. That said, I don't believe it's an issue of patience since the Windows shortcut seems to work and the ZCM Icons don't.

A reboot of the machine seems to clear this up, however if someone else logs in without rebooting, it resorts to the above mentioned behavior.

Any insight to this head scratcher would be greatly appreciated!
Don

Don
Labels (2)
0 Likes
23 Replies
Popopinsel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM Icons do nothing when clicked

This can have many reasons, from Windows Updates being installed to pending reboots, bundle requirements, installation options and so on...

Can you give more details on what action you used to start iexplore.exe, wether you've put the action under "Install" or "Launch" tab or wether it is set to only install/launch once per machine/user/first user?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thank you for responding so quickly. The bundle is a simple bundle that has a launch action of nothing but iexplore.exe Nothing more than that. Windows update services has been disabled. There was no software deployed to this workstation.

It took me some time to put 2 and 2 together but I noticed this happened when I assigned a different bundle to ALL machines in my zone (2500) That pushed out a reg file, 2 exe's and a custom wallpaper.. I'm wondering if ZCM simply can't push that to all workstations. (too much?)

Don
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Donasutton,

> I'm wondering if ZCM simply can't push that to all workstations. (too
> much?)

if you just assigned it, then there's no pushing involved, the device
will request it. In any case, that would not affect the ability to
launch from the NAL Window. What were the registry updates?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Shaun,
I was sending down an HKLM>>SOFT>>M$>>Currentver>>Run.. this key ran a exe "bginfo" which was recently thrown down from the ZCM content repo to the local workstation. The same bundle also threw down a JPG of about 180K and an ini of a few K as well. But I set it up to only run once per machine.

Don
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Donasutton,

OK, so it's not likely that the reg keys broke nalwin: can you right-
click the icon in nalwin?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Shaun

Yes I can right click on NALWIN icons. Also, when I double left click on an icon to execute it, I then see the green check mark as though it's been executed but nothing actually executes. I've also minimized NALWIN to ensure that there's no confirm window behind it or something to that effect..

Don

Don
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Donasutton,

> I then see the green check mark as though it's
> been executed but nothing actually executes.

what's in the log when this happens?

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

And What "Launch" actions are there.
What is the impersonation type of the actions?

On 1/14/2013 8:50 AM, Shaun Pond wrote:
> Donasutton,
>
>> I then see the green check mark as though it's
>> been executed but nothing actually executes.

> what's in the log when this happens?
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

donasutton;2239623 wrote:
Hi Shaun,
I was sending down an HKLM>>SOFT>>M$>>Currentver>>Run.. this key ran a exe "bginfo" which was recently thrown down from the ZCM content repo to the local workstation. The same bundle also threw down a JPG of about 180K and an ini of a few K as well. But I set it up to only run once per machine.

I'm curious, when a machine is "stuck" in the state of not being able to launch ZENworks icons.... what happens if you end the ZENworksUserDaemon.exe process (it will/should relaunch after killing it)? Can you start the applications again after this?

-Willem
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi magic31

That's interesting. I have not done that yet, but i'm always up for tinkering. I will try that the next time this happens. Since I've stopped the deployment of the initial app that i assumed caused the issue, NALWIN hasn't given me issues.

If the daemon bounce does resolve the issue, then how can I make this work? At this point the only thing popping in my head is mass assigning the reg hack to the USER rather than the workstation.

Don

Don
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Craig,

I have 30 clients running in debug mode right now. Next time it happens i'll be sure to upload bits of the log here. Like I said though, when I removed the association from the machine and switched it to the user, it works as expected.

<Head scratcher>

Don
0 Likes
drops1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

donasutton;2239941 wrote:
Hi Craig,

I have 30 clients running in debug mode right now. Next time it happens i'll be sure to upload bits of the log here. Like I said though, when I removed the association from the machine and switched it to the user, it works as expected.

<Head scratcher>

Hi Don,

i have seen the same behavior you describe. Not consistently only once in a while.

After right-clicking the Icon and "verify" i was able to start it. - not a solution

best regards

MArkus
0 Likes
ssanna Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello i've the same issue of Donasutton, with simple icon there's no verify option. The only workaround is to logoff/login but is not a solution, have you found something? Thanks.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Generally some other running bundles are stuck.
Most likely those bundles need troubleshooting.

Logs can help show which bundles are kicking off.

On 1/25/2013 6:06 AM, ssanna wrote:
>
> Hello i've the same issue of Donasutton, with simple icon there's no
> verify option. The only workaround is to logoff/login but is not a
> solution, have you found something? Thanks.
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.