ftgarcia Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM Refresh Causing Desktop Icons to Auto-Arrange / Move

We have a ~250 workstation ZCM installation running 10.2 (10.1.3 before that) on a Windows 2003 server, and the environment is XP desktops in a Win2K3 Native AD domain.

Dozens of users have complained of frequent desktop icon movement issues, where their desktop icons get reorganized as if they had done an auto-arrange. This is not an issue for users who always had used auto-arrange but for those who had align to grid and customized desktop icon layouts they are getting extremely frustrated to have a ZCM trash their layouts.

From what I have witnessed the desktop icons tend to do this when a ZCM refresh occurs, especially upon initial boot, but it can also happen randomly throughout the day.

The issue got so bad that I created a file bundle that I pushed out to everyone which allows for the ability to save/restore desktop icon layouts.

Has anyone else ever experienced or had their users report a similar problem. If so any known solutions or TIDs that would steer me towards a fix?

Thanks,

Felipe
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
tbreeden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM Refresh Causing Desktop Icons to Auto-Arrange / Move

Same problem with at least one user here. Slightly different enviroment - ZCM server is SUSE 10.2, workstations are not joined to an AD domain. This workstation had the same problem under ZfD7, and eventually Novell identified it as a bug and a ZfD7 patch seemed to fix it.

Under ZCM it reappeared, and she reports it happening nearly every day, but we can't demonstrate it at will.

I have not got any better solution. 😞

Tom
0 Likes
Highlighted
hsingh25 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have about 900 users and about 20-30 are having this same problem. We are running ZCM server is 10.2.2, workstations are XP Sp3

Has any got a solution to this issue.
0 Likes
mcurrie Contributor.
Contributor.

Same problem here, 10.2.2, desktop icons rearrange/auto arrange for users randomly. Auto arrange is not set on the workstation. Worst of all, it trends to be supervisors/managers that have their desktop icons arranged, so the complaints are hard to ignore.

Anyone seen a fix yet??

Cheers,
Mark C
0 Likes
omarestepa Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have the same problem.

Has any got a solution to this issue?
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Same here. If a duplicate profile gets created then the desktop order is shot to bits. Only way I could see was to pay for some "icon desktop save" program and run it every time to save on logout.

Currently testing icon_restore from the XP resource kit

ftgarcia - any chance you can elaborate on you fix?

Cheers
0 Likes
bill108 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes we have experienced this with a number of users since we moved to ZCM 10.x about 18 months ago. Its been an ongoing problem and was still present with 10.2.

We have moved to 10.3 over the weekend so I havent had time to see if this is still an issue, but I would suspect that it is.
0 Likes
bill108 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

And just to confirm, this is still an issue for us with 10.3a
0 Likes
gilechri Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Anyone find a fix to this? Just starting to roll out 10.3 on 450 workstations, and the first 10 workstations, I have seen it happen on 2 so far. I am holding off until it is resolved. We went through this with Zen 7 as well, but I don't recall what the fix was at that time.

Chris
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.