dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3491 views

ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

Hi everyone,

We have ZCM 11 and we have also many school workstations with Deepfreeze installed on it. Deepfreeze is from Faronics, and it's a utility to allow a workstation to recover at original state after a reboot. We can make many changes to machine but after reboot, all changes are replaced with the original content of the OS.

The problem is with ZCM agent, the workstation will always have to be refreshed and all content will have to be pushed again on the machine.

Is it possible to install the ZCM agent on a different partition? Because with deepfreeze, we can "unfreeze" some partition. So this way, ZCM agent could be more "live" with the freezed machines.

or, is there some best method for using ZCM with deepfreeze?

thank you for your help !
DM
Labels (2)
0 Likes
12 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

Yes, You can install the ZCM Agent to any location you want.

Simply set the value for %ZENWORKS_HOME% prior to installing the agent
and it will install to that location.



On 6/16/2011 3:06 PM, dominicm wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> We have ZCM 11 and we have also many school workstations with
> Deepfreeze installed on it. Deepfreeze is from Faronics, and it's a
> utility to allow a workstation to recover at original state after a
> reboot. We can make many changes to machine but after reboot, all
> changes are replaced with the original content of the OS.
>
> The problem is with ZCM agent, the workstation will always have to be
> refreshed and all content will have to be pushed again on the machine.
>
> Is it possible to install the ZCM agent on a different partition?
> Because with deepfreeze, we can "unfreeze" some partition. So this way,
> ZCM agent could be more "live" with the freezed machines.
>
> or, is there some best method for using ZCM with deepfreeze?
>
> thank you for your help !
> DM
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

0 Likes
floort Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

Shaun is the man of the manuals.
i think you are thinking the whole day RTFM!!! 🙂

oh about the docs, on which page can i find the releasedate for CAP2?
it must be released today or next monday 🙂



spond;2114898 wrote:
Craig,

...like it says in the docs Novell Doc: ZENworks 11 Discovery, Deployment, and Retirement Reference - Changing the Target Installation Directory
🙂

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

ZEN Updates do not go out on Fridays, unless it's extremely critical.

On 6/17/2011 10:36 AM, floort wrote:
>
> Shaun is the man of the manuals.
> i think you are thinking the whole day RTFM!!! 🙂
>
> oh about the docs, on which page can i find the releasedate for CAP2?
> it must be released today or next monday 🙂
>
>
>
> spond;2114898 Wrote:
>> Craig,
>>
>> ...like it says in the docs 'Novell Doc: ZENworks 11 Discovery,
>> Deployment, and Retirement Reference - Changing the Target Installation
>> Directory'
>> (http://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks11/zen11_discovery_deployment/data/bbo5hbu.html)
>> 🙂
>>
>> --
>>
>> Shaun Pond

>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
floort Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

craig_wilson;2115016 wrote:
ZEN Updates do not go out on Fridays, unless it's extremely critical.


That the different. It's what novell thinks it's critical. Not the customer who pays for it 🙂
🙂 i'm whining a little 🙂
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

Tristan,

I'm still working on it, getting it ready - I expect that it will be
ready for Monday, but I'm not promising...

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
floort Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

Shaun,

Thanks. I appreciate your status information.
Looking forward to it.

Regards,

Tristan



spond;2115238 wrote:
Tristan,

I'm still working on it, getting it ready - I expect that it will be
ready for Monday, but I'm not promising...

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

Tristan,

just one clarification about one small process, and then it's ready to
go

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
floort Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

I'm waiting 🙂

spond;2115384 wrote:
Tristan,

just one clarification about one small process, and then it's ready to
go

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
dominicm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

well thank you all for the info about the Home directory, I think it will a great solution !

DM
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

Tristan,

wait no longer...

--

Shaun Pond


0 Likes
floort Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM agent and DEEPFREEZE Faronics

Yep, Great!
Thanks.

spond;2115819 wrote:
Tristan,

wait no longer...

--

Shaun Pond
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.