robkoon81 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM appliance upgrade path

I did not have the time or Linux knowledge to build a ZCM server from scratch, so I went the appliance route a few years ago as we were migrating from XP, using Zfd to Windows 7 using ZCM 11.1. I have never upgraded or patched this appliance. Now that we are wanting to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 10 you can see my problem.

Instead of doing all of the upgrades to get my 11.1 appliance to 11.4, I am considering starting a new 11.4 appliance on a new host and slowly switch everything over to Windows 10 and the ZCM 11.4 appliance. Is this a good idea or terrible idea? I wasn't sure if the two ZCM systems would conflict with each other? I am sure I would have to slightly change the 11.4 name from zenworks.site to something different. Any other changes that I would have to make? This time I will keep the appliance patched as to not get into this situation again.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.
Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZCM appliance upgrade path

robkoon81;2421857 wrote:
I did not have the time or Linux knowledge to build a ZCM server from scratch, so I went the appliance route a few years ago as we were migrating from XP, using Zfd to Windows 7 using ZCM 11.1. I have never upgraded or patched this appliance. Now that we are wanting to migrate from Windows 7 to Windows 10 you can see my problem.

Instead of doing all of the upgrades to get my 11.1 appliance to 11.4, I am considering starting a new 11.4 appliance on a new host and slowly switch everything over to Windows 10 and the ZCM 11.4 appliance. Is this a good idea or terrible idea? I wasn't sure if the two ZCM systems would conflict with each other? I am sure I would have to slightly change the 11.4 name from zenworks.site to something different. Any other changes that I would have to make? This time I will keep the appliance patched as to not get into this situation again.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

The main area of conflict would be imaging.
I would disable PXE Services on the old Zone when I installed the new Zone and started moving devices.

I cannot really think of anything else off the top of my head that would be a conflict.
0 Likes
robkoon81 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZCM appliance upgrade path

Thanks Craig. That is how I will proceed then.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.