gerwil1478
New Member.

ZCM policies with adml templates

Hi
So all I wanted to do was set the default homepage in IE. Worked a treat before but as we migrated to IE 10 and 11 it stopped. Turns out that the "Internet Explorer Maintenance" section under "Computer configuration" in windows group policy has been "deprecated" with IE10 and above. There is now an admx file for IE which is written in xml to replace the previous 'built in' settings. No worries I thought. Unfortunately the ZCM group policy helper will not import this format type templates. I can get to \User\Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control panel\General page and nothing. Some settings that are close to the mark but no default home page.

Is there a trick/workaround/missed the bl...ing obvious?

Cheers
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
gerwil1478
New Member.

Re: ZCM policies with adml templates

Whoops
Brain freeze.
Think I've posted something like this before many years ago. ADMX files just get copied into windows\PolicyDeffinitions and then they should pop up when you next load gpedit.msc For IE it is inetres.admx
But still can't find a setting to set the default home page for IE. Maybe it does not exist anymore.
Cheers
0 Likes
rolflidvall Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It's here:
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer
"Disable changing home page settings" -> Enabled -> Home Page: input your home page
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes I know about that one and also a setting there for the secondary default home page for tab behaviour as well.
But this sets it permanently. I was more after a default home page setting for when the PC is first fired up and then a user could change it later.
I had it set in the image but like all good plans it came adrift when the new website came on line. Now when a machine is reimaged, and IE opens, I get the "page can not be found error" and have to set it to the new website.
I guess I'll just have to put up with it till the next rollout (Win 10) and updated it in the image.
Cheers
0 Likes
rolflidvall Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Then you could instead distribute the registry setting only once, so the users can change it:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="https://www.google.se/" (REG_SZ)
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Fair enough. It may be while before the next image rollout. I'll give it a go.
Cheers
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You could even update the Default Profile so any newly created profile has the value by default. Then there would not be a need to push it after the profile is created.
0 Likes
gerwil1478
New Member.

Yes, that's the plan but for the default profile in the next image. For the mean time though, I've got a little auto run bundle that has a requirement for a registry key value that the home page is wrong and then corrects it. Means the user can then do what ever he wants and the bundle will not interfere.

Cheers
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.