billupp Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZCM "The installer requires logged-in user's credentials"

Good day.

I have a Windows 10 laptop (1 of 60) that is giving the end user a ZENworks screen stating "The installer requires logged-in user's credentials. windows password." Below this message are two places to enter a windows password. No password works to remove this screen. It is only one specific user that logs into this machine that it happens with. That same user can log into another machine, and never see this message. I can log into the users machine, and never see this window.

I have removed the agent from this machine, and reinstalled it, with the same result.
I have un-enrolled and re-enrolled the machine with our server, with the same result.

I have no idea why this screen appears, nor how to get rid of it. I would appreciate any input on this.

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZCM "The installer requires logged-in user's credentials

Very odd...Never Saw that before..........

I would try removing the User's Profile based on your description of events of the issue being isolated to one user on one PC.
May also want to verify the user's group memberships and make sure he is in all expected groups such as "User".

Now there is one thing that crosses my mind....
For MSI Actions there is a setting for - "Grant administrator privilege to user during installation".

Without going into details....I would NOT recommend that setting.
I've seen people THINK they want to use it...but I've never seen where it was actually the appropriate setting.

#1 - Virtually All MSIs will work as "Logged On User" due to ZCM invoking an MSI Elevation feature that allow Non-Admins to install software requiring Admin Rights.
#2 - If there is ever a case where that does not hold...."Dynamic Administrator" should work and even allow the install when nobody is logged on....System will as well but I tend to prefer DAU.

The ONLY case where this setting would be required is if the Software Package had an Installer that had to be reinstalled for Each and Every User on the PC.
And the User doing the Install had to be a Local Administrator.

I've NEVER seen that and if I did.........I certainly would inform the company to fix their Installer to meet remotely basic standards to be Certified by Microsoft.
Maybe some old 16-bit Windows App may have done that 20 years ago....

So not sure if you have an MSI bundle that has that setting...if so....I would recommend not using it....not once have I ever seen it used when needed....many times when not due to confusion over other settings.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.