schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZENworks 2017 & Windows RDC

If this is not the correct place for this thread, I apologize. We are currently testing out ZENworks 2017. I noticed that when I use Windows Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) to connect to a workstation with ZENworks 2017 agent, I type in my password and when it connects to the workstation, it prompts me for my credentials again. To test it, I uninstalled ZENworks 2017 agent and ran an RDC to the same workstation and it worked correctly, having the RDC pass through the credentials to the remote machine. I then re-installed ZENworks 2017 and it is once again prompting me for my credentials a second time. We never had this issue with ZENworks 11.4.2 agent installed. Is there something new with ZENworks 2017 agent that won't pass through RDC credentials?
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZENworks 2017 & Windows RDC

I can't duplicate against a Win10 PC running 2017 Update 1, but that issue has existed in the past in ZCM 11.x under certain conditions.
I would recommend an SR.
0 Likes
schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for trying. I did submit an SR to see how to fix it. I also tested it on a Win10 machine and it seems to work fine. Also, on my ZENworks 2017 server, which is a Win Server 2012 R2, when I RDP to it, everything is fine. After the timeout period, the server locks. When I unlock it, the default Sign-in option is Connect smart card.
0 Likes
schiess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Not sure if something changed with the way ZENworks logs into Windows but I made a change and it is now working. In the Registry, I went to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\Credential Provider Filter and found a key of {692D4DB6-7E51-4370-A9AE-AE95848DBF1E} which is for ZenCredentialProvider. I deleted this key in both the Windows 7 machine and the Windows Server 2012 R2 and it works. Not sure if Zen 17.1 needs this key or not but so far, it seems to work without it.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Set - Registry Key Name
Registry Key Path
Description
Registry Key Type
Registry Key Value

AllowAnonymousAccessToContentRepo
Windows: HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM

Linux: /etc/opt/novell/zenworks/conf/xplatzmd.properties
Allows the user to access the content-repo directory anonymously.
String
True

AllowDLUWithoutNovellClient
Windows XP (32-bit):

HKLM\Software\Novell\Nwgina

Windows Vista or Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)

HKLM\Software\Novell\Authentication
To log a dynamic user with an e-directory account into a workstation using the Dynamic Local User policy.

For more information, see Implementing the Dynamic Local User Policy Without the Novell Client in the ZENworks 11 SP4 Configuration Policies Reference.
DWORD

AllowNonTaskbarExplorer
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM\NAL\
Allows NalShell to load in the context of the non-task bar explorer.

Prevents NalShell from being loaded in the context of the non-task bar explorer.
DWORD

DWORD

AllowPassiveModeLoginOnServers
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM\ZenLgn
To log in to the ZENworks console and to dynamically create user accounts for Windows 2003, Windows 2008, and Windows 2008 R2 devices. You can also use the DLU policy to create users dynamically.

NOTE:Passthrough login is not supported on Windows 2003 64-bit devices.
DWORD

AllowZenInfoWithoutAdminPwd
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM
When the value of this key is set to True, users other than administrators can run zac zeninfo

For more information, see zac for Windows(1) in the ZENworks 11 SP4 Command Line Utilities Reference.
String
True

BlankScreenFrequency
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM\Remote Management\Agent
During a blank screen, the managed device’s screen will flicker based on the configured time interval. The default time interval is 600 milliseconds.
DWORD
600 to 2000 milliseconds

BundleOrderingTimeSlice
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM
Allows you to configure the time that the agent waits before reordering the assigned bundles on a Windows managed device. The default value is 5 seconds.

For more information, see Enabling Bundle Ordering in the ZENworks 11 SP4 Software Distribution Reference.
String
Any value greater than 0, in seconds

BUNDLE_ORDERING_TIME_LAG_SEC
/etc/opt/novell/zenworks/conf/xplatzmd.properties
Allows you to configure the amount of time that the agent waits before reordering the assigned bundles on a Linux managed device. The default value is 5 seconds.

For more information, see Enabling Bundle Ordering in the ZENworks 11 SP4 Software Distribution Reference.
String
Any value greater than 0, in seconds

CancelOnNoResponse
Windows 32-bit

HKLM\Software\\Novell\\ZCM\\ActionHandler\CancelOnNoResponse

Windows 64-bit

HKLM\Software\\Wow6432Node\\Novell\\ZCM\\ActionHandler\CancelOnNoResponse
Allows reboot control and prompt control to set the auto continue and auto cancel options.

For more information, see “User Cancels Allowed” in the ZENworks 11 SP4 Software Distribution Reference.
DWORD

CDPWebCallWaitTimeout
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM
To modify the Web Service time out on a Satellite device for Windows, set this registry key value to the desired time you want.

For more information, see Manually Configuring the Web Service Timeout Advanced Content Replication Setting in the ZENworks 11 SP4 Primary Server and Satellite Reference.
String
Desired time in milliseconds

cleanUpStalePrintersAtPostDesktop
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Novell\ZCM\PrinterPolicy
To remove printers of the previous user session when a new user logs in to the same device.

NOTE:The printers of the previous user session will be removed only after the registry key is set and the device is rebooted.This is applicable only for Samba printers.
String
True

ContentCPRTempPath
HKLM\Software\novell\zcm
To change the location of the checkpoint content (.tmp) files from the default Windows temp file location to another folder on the device. You need to specify the new folder path where the .tmp files should be stored

If the registry entry is missing or if there are any issues or exceptions in creating a configured folder path for the *.tmp files, the *.tmp files will be stored in the default Windows temp location.
String
<Folder path>

HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM\Migration\MSIOptions\
You can use this string to determine how much of the user interface to display during the installation of the migrated MSI application.

Displays an appropriate user interface level (as chosen by the Windows Installer)
String
/qb-

defaultUICulture
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM
ZENworks Agent reads this registry key and loads the corresponding language resources.

If a language pack is installed on a device and the display language is set to an installed language pack that is not supported by ZENworks, then you can load resources for any of the ZENworks supported languages by setting the defaultUICulture registry key to the appropriate culture value. For example, to load English (United States) set it to en-US, or to load French (France) set it to fr-FR.
String
Specify the Language Locale value.

Example for English language (United States): en-US

DefaultRealm
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM\ZenLgn\
To reduce the device login time, specify the user source in this registry key.

For more information, see Reducing Device Login Time by Specifying the Default User Source in the ZENworks 11 SP4 User Source and Authentication Reference.
String
Desired User source

The DefaultRealm value is case sensitive since the realm name is case sensitive.

Delay
HKLM\Software\Netware\Nal\1.0\NalView
During the user login, NalView.exe runs on the device, resulting in delay in the overall login time. To speed up the login process, set the required value in number of seconds to delay NALVIEW from processing its action.

The value configured in the registry key will delay, in seconds, the creation of ZCM bundle icons on Explorer, Start Menu, Quick Launch, System Tray, and Desktop (if configured as part of the bundle assignments).
DWORD

DeleteCustomGroups
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM\Dynamic Local User
This registry key will delete the Custom Groups created by the DLU policy. If the registry key is not set then Custom groups will never get deleted.
String
True

Disabled
HKLM\Software\Netware\Nal\1.0\NalView
During the user login, NalView.exe runs on the device, resulting in delay in the overall login time. To speed up the login process, set the registry key value to 1.

For more information, see Troubleshooting User Sources in the ZENworks 11 SP4 User Source and Authentication Reference.
DWORD

disableCachedLogin
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM
You can use this key to turn on the Disconnected Mode Login feature on Citrix or terminal servers. By default, this feature is disabled on Citrix or terminal servers and enabled on desktop machines.

To improve the login performance, disable the caching of credentials for disconnected mode login on terminal server class machine, by setting the value of this registry key to True.
String
True / False

DisableExplorerRestart
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM\GroupPolicy
This registry key ensures that ZENworks Configuration Management does not restart the Windows explorer.
String
True / False

DisableForegroundLockTimeoutReset
HKLM\Software\Novell\ZCM\NAL
This registry key is a Windows setting designed to prevent newly launched applications from moving into the foreground. By default, the ZCM agent will reset the registry key to 0 on every boot so that the ZCM applications are moved to the foreground. Setting up this registry key will prevent ZCM from resetting the ForeGroundLockTimeout registry key to 0. This helps the administrator to set the ForeGroundLockTimeout registry key to either a default value or a required value.
DWORD

DisablePassiveModeLogin
To disable login to the Management Zone when the user logs in through the Microsoft or Novell client.
DWORD
Any value other than zero

DisablePassiveModeLoginPrompt
To disable the ZENworks login prompt that appears if login through the Microsoft client or Novell client fails. For more information, see Locate the following key in the registry on the user’s device: in the ZENworks 11 SP4 User Source and Authentication Reference.
DWORD
Any value other than zero

Set DisableZENCredentialProvider to 1.
https://www.novell.com/documentation/zenworks114/zen11_sys_registry_keys/

No, it does not really work different but if you are in a Domain Environment, most of the time you do not need it
Primarily for DLU, where ZENworks must control the logon to Windows....GPOs can be impacted too....

Setting the key is more supportable............
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.