Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
carlhanson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZENworks Imaging & Image Safe Data Problems

Hi All,

I'm in the preparation stage of a Windows 7 rollout to 4000 desktops. So far we've packaged up 200 applications/bundles and tested them against our image, everything on that front is fine.

Our new ZENworks 11.3.2 server is being now being used to deploy our old Windows XP images (created in ZfD7), I'm using hardware rules to do this and it's working perfectly.

When I use the hardware rules to deploy our new Windows 7 Image it will image once as expected. The PC then boots, a powershell script will build the hostname from the model and serial number, join the domain, install the ZCM agent and all looks good.

The problem comes later when I try to image the machines again, we get "no work to do". After some reading I assume this is because of the Image Safe Data.

I've tried a things so far but seem to be getting inconsistent results, basically each time I PXE the machine I want the machine to use the hardware rule to pull down the image.

The only way I have found that seems to work,is to clear the Image Safe Data and delete the "Novell ZENworks Image-Safe Data Service" after the agent has been installed (as part of my build script). This seems like overkill to me and I'm sure I'm missing something. Help!

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Carl
Labels (2)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: ZENworks Imaging & Image Safe Data Problems

This is working as designed.

http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7008848 may give some guidance.
However, even in this case, clearing ZISD would be required.
Along with the changes there, setting the Image Management Component of the Agent to Disabled as well as Clearing the ZISD as part of your imaging script as the last action after the image is restored may get you close to what you want.

However, this is very different from how most customers manage imaging with ZCM, since you lose so much functionality.
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
carlhanson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the reply Craig.

We haven't used an "Imaging Scripts", we've only used the "ZENworks Image" bundle category.

It seems to be working the way we want now, although I'm still not entirely happy with the changes we've had to make...

Added C:\Program Files\Novell\ZENworks\bin\preboot\ZISWIN.EXE -WIPE to the HKLM\..\Run registry key.
Deleted the "Novell ZENworks Image-Safe Data Service" service.

I'm not sure how this will effect client machines in the future when we update the Agent.

When other customers reimage a machine which is already registered in ZENworks, do they push out images from the console?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Often the just use the ZCC to tell the device to Apply the Assigned Image and then upon reboot it will just apply the image.
Some often script this with WOL so that every morning at 3am all of their lab devices will re-image.

Also you don't want to "Delete" the ZISD Service, it is better to configure the Default ZCM Agent Settings to install that service if you do not want it.
Otherwise, it will come back.

You may also be able to make configure the ZCM Imaging Menu to Always show when PXE Booting.
Then you could manually select an image to restore, regardless of the state of the ZENworks Image Safe Data.

carlhanson;2349637 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Craig.

We haven't used an "Imaging Scripts", we've only used the "ZENworks Image" bundle category.

It seems to be working the way we want now, although I'm still not entirely happy with the changes we've had to make...

Added C:\Program Files\Novell\ZENworks\bin\preboot\ZISWIN.EXE -WIPE to the HKLM\..\Run registry key.
Deleted the "Novell ZENworks Image-Safe Data Service" service.

I'm not sure how this will effect client machines in the future when we update the Agent.

When other customers reimage a machine which is already registered in ZENworks, do they push out images from the console?
--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.