adamrowf Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ZESM Firewall

Hello,

I noticed a ZESM firewall after the agent deployement but I do NOT have endpoint Security enabled, it is disabled in the ZCC.

I read something about "policies" in the documentation but I am a little confused why this is installed and running.

Thank you for your help.

Allen
Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ZESM Firewall

adamrowf,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Just ignore it if you are not licensed for ZESM.
It needs to be there due to the way some different parts all work
together, but it will not perform any FW functions.

On 7/10/2011 1:36 PM, adamrowf wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I noticed a ZESM firewall after the agent deployement but I do NOT have
> endpoint Security enabled, it is disabled in the ZCC.
>
> I read something about "policies" in the documentation but I am a
> little confused why this is installed and running.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Allen
>
>

--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghuebner Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hi
i had a sr for this, and got this answer:

I have received confirmation from ZESM backline engineers that this firewall will never block any traffic nor disturb the normal package exchange on your devices, as it does not analyzes packages or anything similar.

This module is required by ZCM because it is use for the location feature of ZCM so, it no matter if you disable the ZESM module, this module will always install, as the location module and other features of ZCM require the use of this filter.

You can rest assure that this module is only used by ZCM for closest server rules and locations as well as for zcm activities but it has no effect on your device directly as it will not monitor any traffic nor block.

I hope this clarifies better your inquiry about this firewall module.

Not having this module can cause problems for devices when they try to register into the zone as it can't communicate properly with the locations module, which is the scenario I am experiencing on my la
0 Likes
pfronteri Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

For your information ZESM Firewall does absolutely interfere with workstation trafikk - even without enabled ZESM !!!

I have a customer using SSL VPN, and as long as ZESM Firewall is enabled (checked) on the NIC, it will not work. As soon as we disable (uncheck) it, SSL VPN works again.

At least this is what we experience with ZCM 11 SP1.

Novell needs to further investigate this!

Patrick Frontéri # GroupWiseR of Norway # Active part of the OpenHorizons and NetworkPartners.no Collaboration
0 Likes
jvmorrell1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think a future version of ZCM is due to have the ZESM client removed if you require and have the Location awareness as part of the client.... hoping this will be the case with 11.2.2
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jvmorrell,

hope away, but it's not in 11.2.2 (for very good reasons, I can assure
you)

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
bbeachem Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The "ZESM Client" is part of the CORE ZCM agent. It has been that way since 11.0 and it will always be that case. The only option that will become available is whether or not you use kernel level drivers for the various features (like location awareness or agent self defense). For example, "Location Awareness Lite" will not use the NDIS kernel drivers (which has tradeoff's for location detection depending on the OS and other factors).
0 Likes
bbeachem Absent Member.
Absent Member.

As mentioned below, it is part of the CORE ZCM agent and is used for location awareness. In future revisions the name and dialogs will more accurately represent that as opposed to it being a true firewall. The ONLY time it ever does any packet filtering is when a ZESM firewall policy is assigned.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.