Mike021548141 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zen and iMacs imaging - driver for Marvell 88E8058 PCI-E

P.S> By the way have you considered trying some simple, smaller images. Say a 2, 4 & 5 GB image that just boots dos or similar from a USB source on the machine that doesn't work?

Could be interesting to see the results

MC

Things should be as simple as possible but no simpler
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Ahhh I've just noticed... Doc's for ZfD 7 say that only FAT16/32 is supported so maybe it is the file system after all.... I've never hit the issue as I've always used FAT32

Must be a limitation of some type in the imaging process...

Novell Documentation

Only option may be to cut that 5GB image file up

MC

0 Likes
Absent Member.

And not sure if the ZCM docs are referring to supported file systems within the image or for a local partition to image from

Novell Documentation

MC

0 Likes
mbreiden Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Zen and iMacs imaging - driver for Marvell 88E8058 PCI-E ?

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 06:56:02 GMT, Mike021548141 wrote:

> Being that you have tried NTFS & ext seems likely we can
> rule out the image source file system

ntfs doesn't work to store images, you can only read from it iirc..
--

Marcus Breiden

If you are asked to email me information please remove the - in my e-mail
address.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
http://www.didas.de

Marcus Breiden If you are asked to email me information please remove the - in my e-mail address. The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion. http://www.didas.de
0 Likes
pottsm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Any update on this? I still can't get this card to image. Just tried downloading the new zenworks imaging cd with updated drivers from december 2008, including a new sk98lin driver. even with a newid string passed to the kernel still no luck..

any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Likes
simonpalmer123 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I just came across this thread - this has worked since May 19 2009 with boot CD from bootcd.iso
hfsplus filesystem support is built into the kernel and mounts hfsplus partitions, but zenworks imaging thinks the partition is "empty" so will only do block level imaging.
0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hey Guys,

Just saw this post, so I thought I'd put my two cents in.

I've been imaging Apple iMacs / Mac Pros with our Windows lab image over here for a while.

All that is required is ENGL Ztoolkit, ZENworks, DeployStudio, and FileWave.

It was a bit of a process, but here's what I've done.

Keep in mind that this was for Windows XP/ZEN7/Leopard, and I have not had a chance to get around to looking at the process for Windows 7/ZCM/Snow Leopard.

We use ENGL for our lab imaging on the Windows lab machines, so naturally I wanted a way to do that with our Macs too.

With Ztoolkit 5.x, ENGL provided a utility to extract the drivers for any particular machine. This tool pulls all the appropriate drivers, and generates a ZMG image ready to be dropped down and used in their imaging process. (Note that as of 6.x, this changed slightly, but if you're familiar with 6.x this won't stop you)

Once you have a driver image for Windows XP from the Mac, the magic begins.

Simply go to one of your normal XP machines and drop down all the build process images for ENGL to the machine. (base os, novell components, drivers, etc).

Don't reboot.

Shut the machine down and don't so anything else with it.

Pull the hard drive from the machine, and connect it via USB/firewire to a mac, and netboot that mac to a deploystudio server.

Create an NTFS image on your deploystudio server from the hard drive you have connected via USB/firewire.

Now just create a deploystudio action to partition the hard drive, drop down the windows image, a mac image you have created as well, and then allow filewave to handle any installation of applications on the mac side.

Now, the tricky part.

Since the ENGL build process reboots a number of times (5 or 6) you simply need a short shell script at the end of the filewave (or deploystudio) process, which reboots the machine that number of times.

With Ken Johnson's help at Filewave, I was able to perfect this process.

Essentially the script decrements a counter, and stops rebooting the machine once that counter reaches zero.

On the mac side, I've performed some security enhancements such as enabling the EFI password, etc, which prevents users from booting to single user mode, etc.

As a side effect, users cannot hold option to pick the boot volume, so on the mac side I've installed bootpicker as part of the imaging process, which replaces the Mac OS X login prompt and allows a user to select either Mac OS X or Windows XP as the OS.

Jacob
0 Likes
pottsm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jacob,

Thanks for the detailed descriptions of your imaging process.

I wanted to add something I've been playing with, havevn't verified yet, but will be doing soon. Anyhow, if you run the ENGL build on the iMac as if it were a PC, after you get all the drivers, img rp image.zmg NOT img rp image.zmg a1:p3, the install seems to work fine. Therefore, rather than using a second PC then pulling th drive with the enclosure, you could probably just do the same thing you are suggesting by loading restoring the images/add-ons with zen as if it were a PC (see above note), BUT, create an add-on image with a modified boot.ini file so it boots off the third partition, reboot, netboot and grab image, then continue as you have described.

Let me know your thoughts if you read this again.

Mike
0 Likes
pitcherj Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mike,

Yup, you could probably go that route if you didn't have a PC to drop the images down to or an external enclosure as I did.

You'd be at the mercy of the linux kernel supporting the network card of the generation of Apple you're working with, however.

By the way, I've implemented this same process with Windows 7/ZCM/Snow Leopard with no problems.

Jacob
0 Likes
pottsm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Just wanted to update, we ended up trying it out today and it did work as expected, so I figured I would update this in case anyone else wants the info at a later date.

So... steps were:
boot mac with zenworks cd/pxe, whatever...
restore base xp image
restore multi-processor kernel add on stuff
restore updated boot.ini file pointing to partition 3
restore mac drivers

last two are for ENGL:
restore ztoolkit
restore novcomp

shutdown, netboot, grab image.

then make a workflow to partition, restore mac os, and xp image.

also, if you don't end up having network access, the restores could be done from a usb stick or a usb hard drive by mounting the usb drive and using:
img rl ... instead of img rp ....
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.