blackbrow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

.app packages being delivered corrupted

I'm thrilled that I now have management of Macs available through ZENworks, but our first bundle is proving to be a bit of a chore. Trying to test what I though would be a simple deployment of TextWrangler.app to the /Applications directory has so far been doomed.

Having to use the Install Directory action, as the file uploader greys out TextWrangler.app as both a file and a directory, so placed .app in a directory and then selected that directory. Have tried as both mutiple files and single package with the same result, a zeroK file in the /Applications directory.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: .app packages being delivered corrupted

On 23/03/2012 11:36, blackbrow wrote:

> I'm thrilled that I now have management of Macs available through
> ZENworks, but our first bundle is proving to be a bit of a chore. Trying
> to test what I though would be a simple deployment of TextWrangler.app
> to the /Applications directory has so far been doomed.
>
> Having to use the Install Directory action, as the file uploader greys
> out TextWrangler.app as both a file and a directory, so placed .app in a
> directory and then selected that directory. Have tried as both mutiple
> files and single package with the same result, a zeroK file in the
> /Applications directory.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Which web browser are you using to create the Mac bundle? On which platform?

The Novell File Upload extension should see the .app as a directory
which you then need to install on your Mac(s) as
/Application/<application>.app to ensure the .app directory structure is
kept.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
blackbrow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I've used FF10ESR on 10.6, where using Install Files or Install Directory both leave me unable to select the .app.

I've also used IE8 on Win7SP1 where I could select the .app as a directory. From this platform I have also tried zipping the .app and delivering as a file to be unpacked. I Compressed to zip from the mac. The zip gets delivered successfully, but the unzipped .app is still corrupted, zero KB. If I manually click the zip file (I didn't choose to delete it after unpacking) the .app extracts successfully and can be run.

I've also tried these wiith the McAFee AV disabled,
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 23/03/2012 14:56, blackbrow wrote:

> I've used FF10ESR on 10.6, where using Install Files or Install
> Directory both leave me unable to select the .app.

There's your problem as the Mac platform is not supported for any browser.

> I've also used IE8 on Win7SP1 where I could select the .app as a
> directory. From this platform I have also tried zipping the .app and
> delivering as a file to be unpacked. I Compressed to zip from the mac.
> The zip gets delivered successfully, but the unzipped .app is still
> corrupted, zero KB. If I manually click the zip file (I didn't choose to
> delete it after unpacking) the .app extracts successfully and can be
> run.
>
> I've also tried these wiith the McAFee AV disabled,

Since TextWrangler is distributed as a disk image and Windows can't
normally read .dmg files how did you extract the .app on Windows? Or did
you extract the .dmg on a Mac and then copy the .app across to Windows?

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
blackbrow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

extracted on Mac.

Using FSEventer I have identified that seems to be a feature of ZCM. I can see all the files being delivered, and then immediately being deleted. This happns both as Install Directory and as Install Files. Delivering as a zip that is unpacked in Install Files I can clear the empty .app, and click the zip to have the app unpacked successfully and launched.
0 Likes
blackbrow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK, I've just watched very carefully, still using the zipped .app, and as soon as the .app appeared, i clicked on it and saw the size rising to 29MB (the size of the app normally) and watched as it reset to 0KB!
0 Likes
Pvedha Absent Member.
Absent Member.

blackbrow;2184726 wrote:
OK, I've just watched very carefully, still using the zipped .app, and as soon as the .app appeared, i clicked on it and saw the size rising to 29MB (the size of the app normally) and watched as it reset to 0KB!

Hi Black,

I tried with the zipped format of the same application and even I could observe that the folder size grows eventually and later it dips down to zero KB after the install completion. But when i used the Install Directory to install the application i am not seeing any issue. It has successfully installed and i am able to launch the application without any issues.

The difference what i observed is that, when i set the Permission mode to 644(which is the default) i am observing the issue as mentioned by you. But later when i changed the permission mode to 777 i could get the install file action working perfectly. Let me know if you can get the app working by changing the permission mode to 777.

But i will still investigate on why the app doesnt work with the permission mode 644.

Thanks,
Vedha
0 Likes
blackbrow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Pvedha;2185345 wrote:
Hi Black,

I tried with the zipped format of the same application and even I could observe that the folder size grows eventually and later it dips down to zero KB after the install completion. But when i used the Install Directory to install the application i am not seeing any issue. It has successfully installed and i am able to launch the application without any issues.

The difference what i observed is that, when i set the Permission mode to 644(which is the default) i am observing the issue as mentioned by you. But later when i changed the permission mode to 777 i could get the install file action working perfectly. Let me know if you can get the app working by changing the permission mode to 777.

But i will still investigate on why the app doesnt work with the permission mode 644.

Thanks,
Vedha

Veda, thanks for the pointer. I had been looking at the get info window for the permissions, trying to replicate the standard in /Applications. Of course all three users should have execute permission. Looking at the permissions in terminal gives the true permissions. It's strange that zcm deletes the content if execute isn't enabled!

So now I have set as rwx, rx and rx and the app delivers ok.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.