martin_schukar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

disable standby with power management policy?

To strengthen our security of "full disk encrypted" notebooks, we want to disable sleep-mode (standby). Standby/sleep-mode is a well known security risk for encrypted device.

Wikipedia says: "...encryption keys will remain vulnerable in the computer's memory, allowing the computer to read encrypted data after waking up or after reading back the memory contents. Configuring an operating system to shut down or hibernate when unused, instead of using sleep mode, can help mitigate this risk."

So i tried to disable standby (sleep) mode for notebooks with a zcm power management policy.
[INDENT]
- in native windows energy options, the option for sleep-mode allows to enter a value (minutes to go to sleep)
or deactivate sleep-mode completley - ("niemals" standby)

- in zcm power policy, i just can enter a value (minutes to standby)

[/INDENT]
How can i deactivate the sleep-mode with a zcm power management policy completely? Is there anoter option to get this done? When i choose "0" in zcm-policy - the client will take the windows-standard-values for standby (15 min / 30 min). :confused:
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: disable standby with power management policy?

martin_schukar;2397197 wrote:
To strengthen our security of "full disk encrypted" notebooks, we want to disable sleep-mode (standby). Standby/sleep-mode is a well known security risk for encrypted device.

Wikipedia says: "...encryption keys will remain vulnerable in the computer's memory, allowing the computer to read encrypted data after waking up or after reading back the memory contents. Configuring an operating system to shut down or hibernate when unused, instead of using sleep mode, can help mitigate this risk."

So i tried to disable standby (sleep) mode for notebooks with a zcm power management policy.
[INDENT]
- in native windows energy options, the option for sleep-mode allows to enter a value (minutes to go to sleep)
or deactivate sleep-mode completley - ("niemals" standby)

- in zcm power policy, i just can enter a value (minutes to standby)

[/INDENT]
How can i deactivate the sleep-mode with a zcm power management policy completely? Is there anoter option to get this done? When i choose "0" in zcm-policy - the client will take the windows-standard-values for standby (15 min / 30 min). :confused:

Does it take -1 as a value? If you can't get it working with power management policy then you could do it with WGPO instead, but I agree this should be an option in the PM policy: http://www.mysysadmintips.com/windows/clients/369-preventing-computer-from-going-into-sleep-mode

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

The "dropdown/up"-menu let me choose -1, but when i want to save this value, i get a red warning-message:

Your changes cannot be applied for the following reasons:
Value must be between 0 and 999.
Value must be between 0 and 999.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

On Option would be to set the Hibernate Time to Less than the Sleep Time.
Set Sleep to 999
Set Hibernate to 60
The Device will never sleep.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Nice idea CRAIGDWILSON...but ZCM is smarter :p. It says me:

Your changes cannot be applied for the following reasons:
ErrorStandby value is greater than hibernate value
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

martin_schukar;2397346 wrote:
Nice idea CRAIGDWILSON...but ZCM is smarter :p. It says me:

LOL!!!!!

You may want to create an SR and send the SR# to Craig_D_Wilson@Yahoo.com or post here......
There should be a better GUI way to handle that......

My Next suggestion would be try to call PowerCfg.exe from a bundle to get the settings you want.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

OK, i created this SR: #10958331391
0 Likes
Absent Member.

My SR was already closed. The answer is not really satisfying:

With regards to Service Request # 10958331391 (Disable standby with power management policy):
There is no option to turn off sleep mode directly. The following options are followed with explanations of how each module works. It seems that the generic method is the period of inactivity before entering into sleep mode. Therefore, the option is to express a time period that will exceed the time of inactivity to ensure that sleep mode is not entered.

Sleep after
How long your computer will be inactive before switching to sleep mode?

Allow hybrid sleep
If your system needs to save work it can, enter a low power state and resume work immediately.

Enable System Hibernation
If system hibernation is enabled or not.

Hibernate after
How long your system will be inactive before switching to hibernate mode.

Thank you,

Unfortunately not really a solution... 😞
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.