Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1837 views

network discovery

Alot of my workstations and showing up under Network Discovery instead of
Workstation Inventory when using web client. I am running Asset Management
7.50 IR4.
on a windows 2003 sever.




Labels (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: network discovery

William,
You don't provide much info. Do you have the Asset Client installed on all the workstations?

Rodd

>>> William Gross<grossw@calvertnet.k12.md.us> 10/12/2007 3:32 PM >>>

A lot of my workstations and showing up under Network Discovery instead of
Workstation Inventory when using web client. I am running Asset Management
7.50 IR4.
on a windows 2003 sever.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: network discovery

Rodd has asked the key question.

The Network Discovery and Inventory parts of ZAM are completely separate,
with the data collected by separate means:

- Network Discovery uses using ICMP PING, SNMP and/or WMI calls (and a ZAM
Client call) across your TCP/IP network

- Inventory uses the ZAM Collection Client installed on the inventoried
devices


If machines are showing up in Network Discovery it means the ZAM Task
Server(s) can 'see' the PCs across the network - whether the ZAM Client is
installed / running or not.

Do these ND results show the ZAM Client as installed on the PCs? If not,
then the Task Server cannot contact them on the ZAM Client listening port
(7461 by default).

This could be due to any or all of the following:

- ZAM Client not installed

- ZAM Client installed but service not running

- ZAM Client installed but corrupt or clashing with another app (rare in
my experience)

- ZAM Client configured with non-default port(s) without the Collection
Server(s) being configured to use the same ports

- ZAM Client instaled but not correctly configured with, or able to
resolve to, the Collection Server (hopefully this is the issue in one of
Rodd's posts)

- Personal firewall blocking inbound port 7461 (this will stop the
initial, scheduled, and on-demand scans from running, resulting in the PCs
being stuck as Not-Yet-scanned type in the Inventory database).

- Personal firewall blocking outbound port 7460 (e.g. ZoneAlarm)


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: network discovery

Yes all of the machines have the asset client installed and running.

"WoofaJB" <WoofaJB@zamlists.com> wrote in message
news:NMBQi.12907$NG7.6397@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> Rodd has asked the key question.
>
> The Network Discovery and Inventory parts of ZAM are completely separate,
> with the data collected by separate means:
>
> - Network Discovery uses using ICMP PING, SNMP and/or WMI calls (and a ZAM
> Client call) across your TCP/IP network
>
> - Inventory uses the ZAM Collection Client installed on the inventoried
> devices
>
>
> If machines are showing up in Network Discovery it means the ZAM Task
> Server(s) can 'see' the PCs across the network - whether the ZAM Client is
> installed / running or not.
>
> Do these ND results show the ZAM Client as installed on the PCs? If not,
> then the Task Server cannot contact them on the ZAM Client listening port
> (7461 by default).
>
> This could be due to any or all of the following:
>
> - ZAM Client not installed
>
> - ZAM Client installed but service not running
>
> - ZAM Client installed but corrupt or clashing with another app (rare in
> my experience)
>
> - ZAM Client configured with non-default port(s) without the Collection
> Server(s) being configured to use the same ports
>
> - ZAM Client instaled but not correctly configured with, or able to
> resolve to, the Collection Server (hopefully this is the issue in one of
> Rodd's posts)
>
> - Personal firewall blocking inbound port 7461 (this will stop the
> initial, scheduled, and on-demand scans from running, resulting in the PCs
> being stuck as Not-Yet-scanned type in the Inventory database).
>
> - Personal firewall blocking outbound port 7460 (e.g. ZoneAlarm)
>
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: network discovery

And might any of the circumstances I listed apply in your case, e.g.
personal firewalls on XPSP2 PCs etc?

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: network discovery

I checked everthing that you mentioned and all is fine. Digging a little
farther if I click on the ip address it shows and click on the zenworks
client I get the inventory, but it is still listed under network discovery
instead of workstation inventory.

"WoofaJB" <WoofaJB@zamlists.com> wrote in message
news:vhTQi.13457$NG7.7894@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> And might any of the circumstances I listed apply in your case, e.g.
> personal firewalls on XPSP2 PCs etc?
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: network discovery

William Gross wrote:

> I checked everthing that you mentioned and all is fine. Digging a little
> farther if I click on the ip address it shows and click on the zenworks
> client I get the inventory, but it is still listed under network discovery
> instead of workstation inventory.


> "WoofaJB" <WoofaJB@zamlists.com> wrote in message
> news:vhTQi.13457$NG7.7894@kovat.provo.novell.com...
>> And might any of the circumstances I listed apply in your case, e.g.
>> personal firewalls on XPSP2 PCs etc?
>>


That ZAM Client / version hyperlink in the ND record links to the
Client-based inventory - i.e. the data is not held under the ND area of
the database.

So if you go to Workstation Inventory, isn't the same machine accessible
there, with the same details when you click on it?



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.