dmilam Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ports to open in firewall windows 2008

we have zcm11 running on a windows 2008 server.

we have tcp/udp port open for
13331, 4011, 1761, 997, 69, 67,9971, 8009, 8005, 7628, 5950, 5750, 5550
but still are unable to pxe boot.

Only after turning off windows firewall for domain network location does it work.

What other ports are needed for pxe to function?
Labels (2)
0 Likes
10 Replies
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ports to open in firewall windows 2008

Dmilam,

PXE uses a random port...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
dmilam Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thank you for your reply

is it random to a series of ports?
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Dmilam,

AFAIK no, it's any port

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Shaun

Is that specific to Zenworks? I Thought pxe was using from 67-69 and 4011? Or is that only the pxe request from a client?

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nop1983,

it's the request - the session is set up on a random port

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay, so it's the PXE/TFTP transfer that is running on a random port, right? Is this unique to ZENworks PXE?

So it's not a good idea or even possible to activate the firewall on a server hosting the PXE/TFTP content? 😉

/Niels

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nop1983,

> So it's not a good idea or even possible to activate the firewall on a
> server hosting the PXE/TFTP content? 😉
>

no, that's correct

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Great, all I needed to know. I need a good reason not to enable the firewall on the ZENworks server(s), and this is fine. Thanks 🙂

But, is it only PXE in ZENworks that used random ports? ie the MS WDS uses 67, 69 and 4011, as I can se it's bound to that.

/Niels

0 Likes
shaunpond Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Nop1983,

I /thought/ it was all of them, but I may be wrong...

--

Shaun Pond

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well i'm no expert on WDS, I just read it in the doc. 😉

/Niels

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.