wtbt Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

"Real" support for Mac?

Managing a moderate size school district, ~ 10 000 devices, we see PCs leaving the scene in favour of Chromebooks and Macs holding their position of about 3 500 MacBook Airs. Chromebooks live their lives in thir parallell universe and until now Macs have been unmanaged and installed/reinstalled using monolithic images on USB drives.
However, with High Sierra and APFS support for monolithic images was removed and Apple has made clear that enterprise use of Macs should be handled with DEP and an EMM system supporting Mac OSX.
So, my question here is: can we anticipate support for Mac DEP device enrollment into ZCM in 2017 update 3 (...which is due when?)? This question gets critical by August 2018 when about 1 000 new Macs will arrive. By then we will have to have some solution in place for applying settings and installing software on them. We hope that solution will be ZCM 2017 update 3....

/Bengt
Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: "Real" support for Mac?

Asking.....

FYI...I believe there are plans to try and support Chromebooks in a similar manner to which we support IOS and Android Currently, though not in Update 3.
FYI2...Update 3 will likely ship in August...It is currently in Beta.
0 Likes
wtbt Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks!

From our point of view support for Chromebooks seems a bit unnecessary. Even if we could enroll them into ZENWorks i doubt that we actually would do that, given that the management functionality within G Suite is "good enough".

Macs are quite different. We CAN hand them out with Sierra and all settings and software needed, leaving to the students to upgrade to High Sierra themselves, or we CAN hand them out with a vanilla High Sierra installation and have the students install what they need all by themselves or perhaps via Munki or something. The settings bit remains a problem, though. Neither of these alternatives are very attractive.

So my suggestion to the ZENWorks crew is to drop the Chromebook project and put every brain in the house on the Mac stuff.... ...but I'm afraid August will be a bit late anyway.

Keep up the good work!

/Bengt
0 Likes
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

We do not anticipate having DEP support for MacOS devices in Update 3. This is further down the path. We've completed some basic sanity testing and identified issues that need to be enhnaced in hte ZENworks framework in order to fully support the MDM based management of MacOS devices. Wish I had better news, but it's not likely to appear in 2018 at this point. Feel free to shoot zen@microfocus.com any further follow-ups for clarification which goes to all of the PM team here at Micro Focus and we'll do our best to respond.
0 Likes
wtbt Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Ok, thanks for info!

We'll sit down and review our options later today and so it seems obvious that ZÈNWorks is not one of them for the August shipment at least.

/Bengt
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.