Highlighted
technomoney Absent Member.
Absent Member.

trying to understand the image prep process

We are rolling out windows 7 to many of our device in a few months so we are testing imaging the workstations in our test enviroment. I am having some trouble understanding what needs done to the workstation before the image is pushed up to the server. In our case we are using FOG as the imaging software and ZENWorks (v11)for everything else once the workstaion is reloaded.

Right before the PC is restarted and pushed up to our FOG server I make sure to run "C:\PROGRA~1\Novell\ZENworks\bin\zac.exe fsg -d". When workstion number 2 recieves the new image it has the same name as the image source PC and ZCC sees it as the same device. Which is a problem.

I've tried running the command above and then running "C:\PROGRA~1\Novell\ZENworks\bin\zac.exe unr -f", which unregistered the image source PC from ZCC. The next workstation(s) then do not showup as the srouce PC, but need manually reregistered with ZCC for them to login (we use DLU) and receive all the benefits of using ZENWorks.

Is this how things should work or is there a way for the newly imaged workstations to correctly receive their already imported information from ZCC without having to manually reregister with ZEN after each image. Do I need to do anything with ziswin?

Any support would be apprecaited.

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
18 Replies
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: trying to understand the image prep process

Hi

How is your setup? Is it a image wich contains All software before uploading? Or dó you apply Any after imaging is over, ón first boot?

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

nop1983;2097516 wrote:
Hi

How is your setup? Is it a image wich contains All software before uploading? Or dó you apply Any after imaging is over, ón first boot?

It's a mix. The larger "must have" apps like Office are preinstalled on the device. Some of the smaller apps we roll out are via zenworks when a user chooses to click on the icon for that package.

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

technomoney;2097518 wrote:
It's a mix. The larger "must have" apps like Office are preinstalled on the device. Some of the smaller apps we roll out are via zenworks when a user chooses to click on the icon for that package.

Okay, well if you remove the Zenworks agent from the image and applied it by script or so, then the computer would be imported later in the process, thats what we dó. But maby it's not the solution for you?

-- Niels I have always liked... Cowabunga! If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on the star below. A member must be logged in before s/he can assign reputation points.
0 Likes
eschuess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How or what script are you using to name the computer? Not familiar with FOG, but it sounds like you are just copying source computer (imaging same hardware to hardware). We are using sysprep to create a single image to deploy to different hardward specs via PXE booting winpe. XP we use ZCM's zmg imaging to deploy. In our sysprep file I removed the <ComputerName>*<\ComputerName> so it prompts for computer name. On XP we have a bash script to detech hardware and ip address to auto name the computer (w/little user intervention)When I installed the agent on source image, I made sure it imported/registered into the root of my workstation folder. No bundles or policies assigned there - no icons appear in zenworks windows (nalwin). I run zac.exe fsg -d before syspreping computer. Based on named typed at prompt, computer follows registration rules and import into correct folder and policies are applied. Everything works good until I built latest image with IR6 Client. Right now I'm having an issue with IR6 retaining source hostname with causes autologon to fail.

Hope this helps.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

eschuess;2097532 wrote:
How or what script are you using to name the computer? Not familiar with FOG, but it sounds like you are just copying source computer (imaging same hardware to hardware). We are using sysprep to create a single image to deploy to different hardward specs via PXE booting winpe. XP we use ZCM's zmg imaging to deploy. In our sysprep file I removed the <ComputerName>*<\ComputerName> so it prompts for computer name. On XP we have a bash script to detech hardware and ip address to auto name the computer (w/little user intervention)When I installed the agent on source image, I made sure it imported/registered into the root of my workstation folder. No bundles or policies assigned there - no icons appear in zenworks windows (nalwin). I run zac.exe fsg -d before syspreping computer. Based on named typed at prompt, computer follows registration rules and import into correct folder and policies are applied. Everything works good until I built latest image with IR6 Client. Right now I'm having an issue with IR6 retaining source hostname with causes autologon to fail.

Hope this helps.

Part of our FOG install is a very small FOG client. It looks to the FOG server for a few things, one of which is the computer name.

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

FOG is Linux based, right? Requires a Linux server to run from then?
Thanks

0 Likes
Absent Member.

nop1983;2097582 wrote:
FOG is Linux based, right? Requires a Linux server to run from then?
Thanks

Yes. We have it running on Fedora, but Ubuntu is more common.

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay, well just wanted to check. Could see it was freware, so maby it could be something to take a closer look at 😉

0 Likes
Absent Member.

nop1983;2097600 wrote:
Okay, well just wanted to check. Could see it was freware, so maby it could be something to take a closer look at 😉

We have been using FOG for a couple years now, included working with ZEN4-7. The process hasn't been and issue till now. We left ZEN Imaging because it was just so slow.

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I don't know wich way is the right way to image a windows 7, there properly diffent views on it 😉

But this is how I do it in XP

Fits XP
Syspreps it
Reboot and upload image
On boot sysprep is first run
Then a scriptet installation of NW client and ZENworks
Reboots
Auto login as install user, wich installs all general programs, ie Adobe Reader, Java, Office, Antivirus etc. And import workstation to Active Directory.
Reboots
Login screen and ready to use.

Right at the moment i'm working on how to move this setup to a Windows 7 environment, this is how I, so far, planned it to be:

Configure Win 7 (without 100MB partition)
Boot in audit mode to set default settings
Run sysprep with generalize
Reboot and upload image with ZCM
At first boot sysprep runs
Second boot scriptet installation installs ZENworks (sadly we are closing our eDir 😞 )
Third boot ZENworks installs all general applications and import to Active Directory.
Reboots and ready

Tested to the point of third boot, just hopes and belives that it will work (maby with a little fine tuning).;)

0 Likes
eschuess Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are basically doing the same thing for Windows 7 except I baked the Novell client and ZAA into the image to save the extra reboots.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

eschuess;2097861 wrote:
We are basically doing the same thing for Windows 7 except I baked the Novell client and ZAA into the image to save the extra reboots.

We too have the client as part of the image.

0 Likes
nop19832 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well no need for us to include the Novell Client in Windows 7, but I still Think that I'm going to try not to include the ZENworks agent...

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 16:06:06 GMT, technomoney
<technomoney@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>Right before the PC is restarted and pushed up to our FOG server I make
>sure to run "C:\PROGRA~1\Novell\ZENworks\bin\zac.exe fsg -d"

I haven't a clue what FOG is and I am running ZCM10. But the final
three steps of my imaging process are:
run zac fsg -d
reboot PC
take image with ZCM
That is working for me.

Regards,
Ken
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.