tfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2505 views

zman performance - it is really slow !!

when I'm using zman at commandline for assigning (ba) or unassigning (bua) a bundle, it is really slow !!

f.e. one simple windows bundle assign to one user takes about 20 to 60 seconds !!

I'm using ZCM 10.3.1 on SLES11 SP1 (vmware optimized version from Novell) 64 Bit.
the vm runs with VMWare ESXi 4.1 on an 6core Xeon with 2.6GHz and with 8GB of RAM.
the zcm server is the only VM running on this machine...
ZCM runs on the built in Sybase DB. Nothing else is installed on this SLES.

Is there any way to speed up the zman utility??

Thanks
Labels (2)
0 Likes
7 Replies
tfe Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: zman performance - it is really slow !!

Today I tested a bundle assignment to 5 users. takes about 1 minute....

is this normal? Or is anything going wrong here?

Thanks in advance !!!
0 Likes
ufrei Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: zman performance - it is really slow !!

TFe;2034341 wrote:
Today I tested a bundle assignment to 5 users. takes about 1 minute....

is this normal? Or is anything going wrong here?

Thanks in advance !!!


ZMAN workstation-list 20 to 90 seconds
ZMAN workstation-info 20 to 90 seconds
ZMAN admin-store-credential 20 40 40 seconds

We need it for scripting.
Reading workstation-list, than for all Workstation workstation-info --> thousands of seconds for 150 Workstations.
it's absolutliy unusable´.

Novell Support: Known issue on linux-platform. Will be fixed in version one. When ????
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: zman performance - it is really slow !!

You should be using the Batch Command with ZMAN, otherwise it will need
to re-authenticate for each command, even if you have the creds stored.

On 1/26/2011 5:36 PM, ufrei wrote:
>
> TFe;2034341 Wrote:
>> Today I tested a bundle assignment to 5 users. takes about 1 minute....
>>
>> is this normal? Or is anything going wrong here?
>>
>> Thanks in advance !!!

>
> ZMAN workstation-list 20 to 90 seconds
> ZMAN workstation-info 20 to 90 seconds
> ZMAN admin-store-credential 20 40 40 seconds
>
> We need it for scripting.
> Reading workstation-list, than for all Workstation workstation-info -->
> thousands of seconds for 150 Workstations.
> it's absolutliy unusable´.
>
> Novell Support: Known issue on linux-platform. Will be fixed in version
> one. When ????
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
jfansell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: zman performance - it is really slow !!

I'm having a similar issue here- whilst using the zman batch-execute command speeds up things when assigning bundles or suchlike , I am trying to create some admin users via zman admin-create (using edirectory as users source, separate sql 2008 DB, currently on ZCM v10.3.1 on SLES 10 sp3 64 bit (virtual)) and it is hideously slow- around 10-12 minutes PER USER, and whilst it is running, nobody can logon to ZCM control centre. Anyone got anything similar?
0 Likes
patrick_reeder Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: zman performance - it is really slow !!

How does your database look? fragmentation? size? Do you currrently run any database maintenance?

DEV - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (2 Primaries & 2 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7) PROD - ZCM 10.3.4/MS-SQL Database (5 Primaries & 11 Sats running 64-bit SLES 10.2 w/ ENGL Imaging Toolkit 7 ~7500 Managed Devices)
0 Likes
jfansell Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: zman performance - it is really slow !!

Our DB administrator has looked at the ZCM database and can't see any problems, but it looks like we might have dropped a bit of a clanger when we installed this to a sql 2008 box, according to this:

ZCM support for MS SQL server 2008

ZCM 10.x and Sql 2008 isn't supported. I seem to remember that we installed it in 2005 mode since the documentation listed sql 2005 as being compatible. You live and you learn.

Strange thing is, everything else seems to work ok, although we are also experiencing slow logon times (2+ minutes following a bootup) which I'm now thinking might be related. Anybody know if we are likely to encounter issues when we come to upgrade to ZCM 11?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: zman performance - it is really slow !!

Are you using BATCH scripting with your ZMAN commands?
Otherwise it will re-authenticate after each command.
You may not see this if you creds are cached locally, but it's happening.

2+ Minutes on Boot is actually normal unfortunately.
The Agent needs to do an initial refresh prior to allow a logon.

If logon is ok other than that, it's likely not a DB issue.



On 6/21/2011 1:06 PM, jfansell wrote:
>
> Our DB administrator has looked at the ZCM database and can't see any
> problems, but it looks like we might have dropped a bit of a clanger
> when we installed this to a sql 2008 box, according to this:
>
> 'ZCM support for MS SQL server 2008'
> (http://www.novell.com/support/viewContent.do?externalId=7004357&sliceId=1)
>
> ZCM 10.x and Sql 2008 isn't supported. I seem to remember that we
> installed it in 2005 mode since the documentation listed sql 2005 as
> being compatible. You live and you learn.
>
> Strange thing is, everything else seems to work ok, although we are
> also experiencing slow logon times (2+ minutes following a bootup) which
> I'm now thinking might be related. Anybody know if we are likely to
> encounter issues when we come to upgrade to ZCM 11?
>
>



--
Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA
Novell Knowledge Partner

Novell does not officially monitor these forums.

Suggestions/Opinions/Statements made by me are solely my own.
These thoughts may not be shared by either Novell or any rational human.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.