sp3ncer Contributor.
Contributor.

9.3 install script not working

Hi All

I am trying to use a script provided in the documentation to install CM 9.3 in order to deploy it over sccm however I get invalid command line argument when running a test script. The script is below and some names are omitted for privacy.

msiexec.exe /a "\\sccm\cm_x86.msi" /q INSTALLDIR="C:\ProgramFiles\MicroFocus\ContentManager\"ADDLOCAL=HPTRIM,ClientHPTRIMDIR="C:\MicroFocusContentManager"DEFAULTDBNAME="Context"DEFAULTDB="DP"STARTMENU_NAME="ContentManager"TRIM_DSK="1"TRIMREF="DSK"PRIMARYURL="DBURL:PORT"SECONDARYURL="DBURL:PORT"AUTOGG="1"WORD_ON="1"EXCEL_ON="1"POWERPOINT_ON="1"PROJECT_ON="1"OUTLOOK_ON="1"AUTHMECH="0" /l*vx "C:\Users\Test\Desktop\InstallBatch.txt" 

Any help is greatly appreciated 🙂

0 Likes
8 Replies
sp3ncer Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: 9.3 install script not working

I forgot to include error information - I just get "invalid command line argument"
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. AG_LTBit Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hi @sp3ncer,

Are you able to confirm if there were spaces between the different parameters? Overall, it looks correct to me from a quick glance. 

With spaces it would look similar to;

msiexec.exe /a "\\sccm\cm_x86.msi" /q INSTALLDIR="C:\ProgramFiles\MicroFocus\ContentManager\" ADDLOCAL=HPTRIM,Client HPTRIMDIR="C:\MicroFocusContentManager" DEFAULTDBNAME="Context" DEFAULTDB="DP" STARTMENU_NAME="ContentManager" TRIM_DSK="1" TRIMREF="DSK" PRIMARYURL="DBURL:PORT" SECONDARYURL="DBURL:PORT" AUTOGG="1" WORD_ON="1" EXCEL_ON="1" POWERPOINT_ON="1" PROJECT_ON="1" OUTLOOK_ON="1" AUTHMECH="0"

Good luck.

AG.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.ltbit.com.au
0 Likes
sp3ncer Contributor.
Contributor.

Thankyou AG! almost working now, it was some spaces in the script causing the error - however when the MSI is run it says "the installation package cannot be installed in this manner, you can generate a script with the desired property values...etc" ( which is what we are doing with this script ) but still doesn't like it.
0 Likes

No worries @sp3ncer ,

Are you running this from an elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator)?

I have put the logging back in (I missed putting it in the right place in my last post).

msiexec.exe /a "\\sccm\cm_x86.msi" /q /l*vx "C:\Users\Test\Desktop\InstallBatch.txt" INSTALLDIR="C:\ProgramFiles\MicroFocus\ContentManager\" ADDLOCAL=HPTRIM,Client HPTRIMDIR="C:\MicroFocusContentManager" DEFAULTDBNAME="Context" DEFAULTDB="DP" STARTMENU_NAME="ContentManager" TRIM_DSK="1" TRIMREF="DSK" PRIMARYURL="DBURL:PORT" SECONDARYURL="DBURL:PORT" AUTOGG="1" WORD_ON="1" EXCEL_ON="1" POWERPOINT_ON="1" PROJECT_ON="1" OUTLOOK_ON="1" AUTHMECH="0"

It looks fine to me. If you are using an elevated command prompt, try moving the installer to the local machine, rather than the SCCM share, there may be a security limitation causing an issue.

Good luck.

AG.

www.ltbit.com.au
0 Likes
sp3ncer Contributor.
Contributor.

Okay so I found that it was unpacking to C:\CMEnterpriseInstall instead of the allocated install path, log file says it was setup successfully. Also tried running the trim.exe from the unpacked files to see if the database attributes had been applied but they haven't -.- 

0 Likes

Hi @sp3ncer 

The script you were using with the '/a' switch creates an admin installer that can then be used for Group Policy Installation. If you are attempting to install locally you will need to drop the /a. The reason none of the settings are set is because those items are set in the registry (local machine hive) in MSI Settings (after the msi saved into the admin installer output file has been run) and are picked up on first run and set in the Current User hive.

If you are wanting to install locally you need to remove the '/a' switch, there is a section further in the doco 'Installation using scripts'.

I'm not 100% on the best approach for SCCM, I normally pass that off to the desktop guys to identify the best approach for the site. 

As a side note you can set all of the items in MSI Settings via Group Policy and then just roll out the software without any settings, this is my preferred approach.

Hope that helps.

AG.

Edit: clarification of MSI Settings

www.ltbit.com.au
0 Likes
sp3ncer Contributor.
Contributor.

Thanks so much for your help AG, haven't quite got there yet but you've put me on the right track as well as taught me some things. If you were in Perth I'd buy you a beer!

0 Likes
sp3ncer Contributor.
Contributor.

Spoiler
Hi AG

I have tried using the argument in SCCM application to see if it would install that way, which it doesn't seem to. Then I tried to edit the MSI settings to use the arguments settings but I haven't had any success with this, I also tried doing a batch script install, grabbing the registry information, uninstalling then running a blank install and using the reg keys - this didn't seem to work either. If we were to use a default install then deploy the settings with GP, would you have any idea where to start ?
Tags (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.