New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted

99 Revision Limit in CM 9.2

Hi everyone,

I've encountered an interesting, and as far as I can tell undocumented, revision limit of 99 in CM 9.2.  This limit was non existent in prior versions. I have submitted a ticket about it, but wondered if anyone here has found a work around for it or if it's hard coded?

Thanks.

28 Replies
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Hi TheRealJerjef,

I don't have 9.2 in front of me at the moment, but just checked in 9.1. The column will allow up to 4 characters so you could have up to 9999 revisions from a db point of view. Also checked the highest number of revisions in the dataset and there was a 189, so at least it was possible and could potentially be a regression in 9.2.

Was there an error message at all? Something that others could potentially look out for?

AG.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.ltbit.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted

Revisions.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This is an enhancement.  The workarounds are:

• delete one or more revisions, or
  • Finalise the document and purge all revisions.

Now a question from me, > 700 revisions seems a lot, at least in the context of the way we imagine revisions to be used.  Can you tell me how you get to this many revisions without a new version of the document?

Lastly, there is a way to override this limit but you have to write a couple of lines of code as the bypass option is not in the UI.  Let me know if you would like to pursue this.

Blog | Samples | CM SDK Docs
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Thanks David,

Not the OP, however, I looked into this a little more from our side when the OP was made, and it looks like the majority of records that have many revisions are Excel documents used for either Financial Purposes or various Registers that are updated quite often.

Realistically, most of these revisions can probably be removed, however, there could be cases where a decision was made from the workbook on a specific day (or every day), requiring it to be kept until it is no longer referenced.

I am keen to look into the bypass option, if possible. I can see it being an issue as people upgrade to 9.2, at least for the existing items with > 100 revisions.

AG.

www.ltbit.com.au
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Thanks for that.  

The limit is actually a global limit on child lists so you set Database.BypassChildListLimits as in the below Pwershell command.

I also have some questions for the original poster which I will post as a reply to the OP, if you have a moment would you look at them in case you have a good answer.

Add-Type -Path "c:\trunk\x64\Debug\HP.HPTRIM.SDK.dll"

$database = New-Object HP.HPTRIM.SDK.Database
$database.Id = "L1"
$database.WorkgroupServerName = "local"
$database.Connect()

try {
    $database.BypassBobChildListLimits = $true
    $database.save()

} catch{
"Error: "
  $error[0]
}
finally {

$database.Dispose()
}

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

See my reply lower in this thread for some work arounds and an option to bypass the limit.

We can potentially improve this in a future release by increasing the limit.  Ideally this would be a hard-coded limit, if so do you think 1000 Revisions per Record is sufficient?

Also, I would like a customer contact to add to our enhancement request, maybe you could send a private message with that if you do not want to post it in the forum.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Thanks David,

I will give it a test in the couple of weeks once I have a 9.2 environment ready. Appreciate it.

Sent you through a PM with contact details and some more information. I'm thinking that 1000 revisions should be sufficient at this stage.

AG.

www.ltbit.com.au
Highlighted

Thanks for all the replies.  I think having to decide on a hard limit seems like a step backwards considering the limit prior to 9.2 was near unlimited.  Is there a technincal explanation for why this hard limit was imposed?  Could they add an option similar to the optimization options for container or record types allowing the system admin to optionally choose the original limit while being aware of any side-effects?

Also does the PS code you noted impact each client install or is it a system wide change?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The PS code is for the Database so will affect all users.

There is a techical explanation, essentially the model we use internally for Revisions is one which will cause memory issues if there is a very large number of revisions.  There are a number of ways to address this.  One is to completely re-design them, as we did recently with LookupItems,  another is to impose a hard limit.  The attractions of a hard limit include:

• it is low impact from a technical and testing perspective
  • no extra UI required
  • no database changes required.

While I personally appreciate the frustration with a seemingly arbitrary limit like 1000 we need a compelling business case to overcome the technical considerations.

Highlighted
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Hi all,

For all those following this conversation, I have been advised that there is a QCCR with MF for this QCCR2D65359. It is not published yet, but you might note the number to look up in future to follow any changes around this.

S

Highlighted
Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Thank you for the explanation David.  It's a tough sell at this point for those that have been using it without a limit for a long time only to be informed that it was risking memory issues and now it has to be capped.  I can appreciate the effort involved in going with a different model at this point.

Thanks for the heads up smilenk regarding the QCCR#.  I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.