Highlighted
New Member..
New Member..

Access denied to spreadsheets

Has anyone else had issues with spreadsheets in CM 9.3 Patch 2

We're running Windows 1809 and are having this error appear more and more.

I have a feeling it has to do with how windows truncates the fille name when it checks the file out to offline records.

Capture.JPG

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Access denied to spreadsheets

We get it randomly with CM 9.2 and Windows 10.  In our case I was thinking it was a "length of file path name" issue - our BCS goes down quite a few levels, so the pathnames under the users' Offline Records can get quite long.

I've been getting affected users to manually check the document out to somewhere with a shorter pathname, then manually check in again when finished updating.  It seems to get around the problem, but it's a bit clunky.

Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

We have done similar. As a long term for them, we've supercopied the document out to a shorter path name, renamed the file to something shorter, then checked it in as a new revision. Once done, it doesn't seem to give the user any more trouble. Alternatively if it doesn't work, the other thing we check how full is the drive capacity of their user folder (where offline records folder is kept) and access control permissions on the offline records folder/s. However those are just common causes in our organisation when these errors occur for our users.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

This topic has come up previously - see thread: Users unable to edit a word record in CM

I'll copy in my findings below. In short, it less to do with file length, and more to do with how Windows 10 handles file truncation with dashes in the title.

Been seeing this issue coming up across a large number of organisations recently! Some who have been on the same CM version for ages, when the issue started to crop up.

My understanding is that a recent Update for Windows 10 machines has changed how long document titles can be truncated. 

If a user tries to Edit a record with "space dash space" ( - ) in its title, there is chance that CM will not be able to open and/or save the document.

Example title: "Sten's Special Records - 2020"

A consistent workaround has been identified for the moment:

Renaming the record title to remove/replace the "space dash space" will allow Edit mode to function as normal.

So while the above title may cause the error, renaming it to one of the below will fix it:

• "Sten's Special Records- 2020" (remove one space from the dash)
  • "Sten's Special Records-2020" (remove all spaces from the dash)
  • "Sten's Special Records 2020" (remove the dash)
  • "Sten's Special Records _ 2020" (replace the dash with another character, e.g. underscore)

It's a very strange/annoying problem - especially since it looks like more of a Windows/Microsoft update issue, not a CM issue. Who's going to fix it?? Time will tell...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.