Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Tamara Hoagland Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Auto-Classification Success? (HPE Response??)

BUMP from Previous Post - I'm looking now to HPE -> Can you provide any success stories or works in progress when dealing with Auto-Classification in HPE Records Manager??

--

Has successfully implemented and utilized auto-classification within HPRM?

We are investigating Auto-Classification within HPRM and are wondering whether anyone has successfully implemented and utilized auto-classification within HPRM? 

If so, please provide some feedback on your results here or send me a private message. 

We are trying to determine a) if anyone has used it, and b) if someone has, what has been their experience.

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Best Regards,

Tamara Hoagland

15 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Auto-Classification Success? (HPE Response??)

Hi Tamara, I have set it up and ran it on a very small scale in my test DB. Seemed OK to me, but it wouldn't be on a scale that a government department would use.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Tamara, how did you go with this one? 

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Greg,

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, I've not received any other responses from users on this functionality.

It appears to be a good theorectical concept but our testing shows some serious limitations and I'm guessing others have run into this as well. 

I was really hoping to find at least one real world proof of concept, but it appears that there isn't one.

Regards,

Tamara

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You might want to consider posting this on the public forums, this is the customer forums which doesn't have as many active users.

Contributor.. NeilMacKinnon Contributor..
Contributor..

Hi Tamara,

Did you get any further responses?  Did you end up posting to the public forum?  I too would be interested in hearing responses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Environment:
Windows 10 64-bit desktops
Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit App, Idol & Event servers
SQL Server 2012/2016
HPe CM 9.1.914
Honored Contributor.

Neil,

I've not had any other responses on this inquiry. 

I didn't realize there were 2 forums (or if I knew it, I forgot). Could you kindly provide a link to the Public Forum? If so,  I'll give it a try there. Appreciate the suggestion!

Regards,

Tamara

0 Likes
Highlighted
Grundy Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

For what it's worth, none of our clients have used it.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

There were a few CR's logged for auto-classification in 8.1 and 8.2, which have now been fixed. There's one in progress for the ability for it to also support folders. If you haven't already, I suggest trying it out in 8.3 or 9.0 to see if your perceived limitations have been addressed. Alternatively log a support case with details about the issues (or list them here) and we'll let you know if they've been identified and resolved.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
Honored Contributor.

Neil,

Thank you for your response.  I've put together a few of our findings and look forward to feedback if there is something that you think could be resolved. Note that we have tested each of the items below with RM 8.3.

--

The limitations that we've identified aren't related to something not working as designed. Rather, it's the design that limits what can be done with the Auto-Classification functionality.

Auto-Classification can (after some effort) be "trained" to properly recognize and apply the appropriate Classification IF the documents contain structured/consistent information (eg. Forms, Documents based on a template).  Our experience, so far, reveals that unstructured or inconstent document content (like e-mails) cannot currently be handled with much accuracy. 

Perhaps part of the problem is the function relies solely on IDOL??

There remain many other discriminators (metadata elements) that can not be applied. This is a huge miss as many documents have an appropriate Title that would assist in the Auto-Classification process, but RM does not use the metadata when assessing records. 

Also, the terms that are picked up during automated training aren't always useful. The amount time it would take to manually configure and train the Classifications itself is prohibitive.

We have had to officially reccomend to NOT use Auto-Classification but as you can imagine, it has not been well received since there was additional cost involved to purchase this 'functionality'. In our experience, the real-world capability just isn't up to that which is advertised.

Best Regards,

Tamara

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Tamara,

Sorry to hear the functionality of auto-classification hasn't lived up to your expectations. I've flagged your comments for the attention of Product Management.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Tamara

Just wanted to follow up with you that someone from HPE had been in contact with you.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the follow-up!

I did receive a private message from HP requesting my contact info so we could discuss further, but have not received anything else. I responded again to the private message requesting a status update, but have yet to hear/receive anything further. 

Regards,

Tamara

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I've just chased it up for you. I'll let you know how I get on.

Morrissey Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Tamara

I know this was 2 years ago but was wondering if there was any other info on this - if you can read this please email me directly

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.