Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Yokki Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

CM 9.3 filename truncation using drag and drop

Folks,  I'm a newby here but I'm an experienced IT professional.  Using CM 9.3 to drag and drop files out of CM into the Windows 10 filesystem, I'm seeing filenames longer than 66 characters being truncated, and a '~' inserted in the middle to replace removed characters.  Total file path length is of the order of 130 characters, so I'm not hitting any Windows limits.  It's also consistent when I use sub-folders (ie. lengthen the path, but the filename change is the same). 

We recently updated from a fairly old Trim installation and I never saw this happen with that, so I'm convinced that this must be some sort of configuration setting in the new CM environment.  Our corporate CM support folks don't seem to want to acknowledge that this is an issue, which is why I'm seeking some advice here.

Is there some configuration setting somewhere which controls the maximum length of filenames created via a drag/drop operation?  If so, what is it called and where does it live?  If not, are there any ideas which may explain what I'm seeing?

Thanks for any and all help

Joachim Mika / PTV Melbourne Australia.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
JanMartin Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: CM 9.3 filename truncation using drag and drop

CM will generate a "suggested file name" based on the title and this is apparently limited to 64 characters. It may have been introduced since your previous version, probably to resolve errors caused by paths being too long.

As far as I am aware there is no way to change this via configuration...

Valued Contributor.

Thanks Jan.  This makes (some) sense but I can't find a reference to anything like this using Google.  I've also searched the CM 9.2 "Installation and Setup Guide" and there is no mention of filesystem path length constraints, at least not in this context.

I'm a bit bamboozled by the lack of Google results... this makes me think that it's something to do with our local installation but I have no idea where to start looking (since I'm not a CM administrator).

Joachim.

0 Likes
Harry-Koppanyi Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

You may check to see if long file path name is Enabled in your Windows 10. There is a registry entry that you can check using the “regedit” HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem for LongPathsEnabled. The value should be 0 to Enable the Long filename. 

Cheers,
Harry
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for the suggestion Harry.

I don't think that W10 long filenames is the issue... I've separately tested this and been able to create much longer paths using Windows Explorer.  Also, if long path limits are exceeded under W10, my understanding is that it throws an error rather than simply truncating the filename.

I'm convinced that this is a CM action.

Joachim.

0 Likes
NZ-TRIM-Experts Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I've tested after setting a up long filename in my CM9.3 demodb running on Windows 10 x64.  Its gets truncated as you describe when I drag and drop to the file system.  I've tested with CM9.3 x86 and x64 full client. and its consistent.  I'm not aware of any configuration to control this.   Chris.

InfocentriK Helpdesk
InfocentriK Limited
0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for checking, Chris.  You seem to be an experienced contributor..... is there a more formal MicroFocus resource that we can escalate this to?  Surely someone can tell us if it's expected behaviour or not.  The thing is, it's not an extremely rare edge case... I've had several real (ie non-test) files with long names in CM and been unable to drag them to the same Windows folder because their names became identical after truncation.  The only workaround that I'm aware of is to actually open the file using the relevant application and then 'Save As" into the folder... which is inconvenient, to say the least.

Is there a definitive place to go to see the known defects against a specific release of CM?  I'd like to look to see if this has been reported as an issue - certainly nobody seems to recognise it as a product "feature".

Joachim. 

JanMartin Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Yes there is, if you have a support agreement with Microfocus you can create a service request here: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/

If you do not have a support agreement, the person who provides your Content Manager support will be able to create a service request on your behalf.

NZ-TRIM-Experts Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

As Jan says in his reply, best bet is to open a support case. That way you'll get a reply that either confirms the issue or not.  In terms of product defects/bugs there is normally a document that accompanies each software release that lists the fixes (bugs in previous verison, fixed in this current release) and enhancements.  It would be good to hear what Micro Focus Support have to say on this issue...  Chris.

InfocentriK Helpdesk
InfocentriK Limited
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.

Spoiler

Thanks for the input folks.  I've made a request of our internal support team to raise a ticket on this topic.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Joachim.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.