Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

CM9.2 Searching for Records

I am trying to search for a particular record which I am able to see, but when I try to locate it using the Search Records and use the 'NOT' search, the record isnt being returned - see attached.

If I search for the record without the NOT it is returned fine, so its just when I use the NOT feature it doesnt like it.

Any ideas why?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Maybe I misinterpret what you are trying to do here but it would seem you have structured a search to exclude the file you are looking for.

InfocentriK Helpdesk
InfocentriK Limited
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Maybe I misinterpret what you are trying to do here but it would seem you have structured a search to exclude the file you are looking for?

InfocentriK Helpdesk
InfocentriK Limited
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The problem seems to be that you are attempting a numeric comparison on a string field.

Blog | Samples | CM SDK Docs
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

We have a certain criteria for filing records. The CareWorks numbers should be 7 digits in length so we want a seach for numbers that are less/more than the 7 digits thus using the NOT search.

For instansts...if a careworks number is NOT between 1000000 and 9999999 we want it to return in the search.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The problem is that the Careworks number is in a string field.  so I do not think you can do what you want to do.  For example when comparing strings 10000 < 2 and 9637 > 96355.

I will double check to see if there some super smart way to treat strings as numbers but I am not hopeful.  You may end up having to resort to writing some code to use a brute force approach, for example using powershell.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I double checked and there is no magic to treat a string as a number, or to search based on string length.  Either the field needs to be replaced with a numeric field or you will need to write some code.  It may be possible to do a SQL query on the database to find what you need...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor..

Thanks for the info David, it is appriciated. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Dave,
There are two things you can look at.
1) Check existing numbers by exporting the meanings and record numbers to a CSV and use excel to identify them
2) Prevent this from happening again toy can place a mask on the field that will force the user to always enter 7 digits

I hope that helps
Gert-Peter Haar
EDRM Consultancy bv
The Netherlands
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.