Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

CM9.3.1 Web Client Application Pool ID Shows Instead of Logged in User

CM9.3.1 build 300 \ Windows 2016 \ IIS 10 - Web Client Application Pool ID Shows Instead of Logged in User

The account defined as the Application Pool ID is displayed instead of the logged in user. Has anyone seen this?  I tried the recommendation on page 17 of the CM9.3_Web-Client-Install.pdf.

"AppPool Account Name – type the name of the user you wish to use to run the Content Manager services under.  NOTE: It is recommended that the AppPool services account should not have access to Content Manager."

If the account has Allow Login set to False CM doesn't load. If the account has Allow Login set to True CM loads, however the logged in user's name isn't displayed; the TRIMService or whatever account is defined as the App Pool ID is displayed.  See attached: TRIM_Test is logged in, but the TRIM.svc account is displayed as the logged in user in Web Client.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: CM9.3.1 Web Client Application Pool ID Shows Instead of Logged in User

What sort of authentication are you using?

If using Windows Integrated is Anonynmous disabled in IIS Manager for the ContentManager application?

Blog | Samples | CM SDK Docs
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

Tried both disabled and enabled. The users are not prompted to log in.  Thanks for the reply. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

I enabled Windows Authentication and disabled Anonymous Authentication so I was prompted to log in.  It showed that I was logged in (not the Application Pool ID account), which is excellent.  If I'm already logged into Windows I shouldn't have to log into WebClient, right?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

When I disable Anonymous Authentication and enable Windows Authentication I'm prompted to log in.

When I disable Windows Authentication and enable Anonymous Authentication I'm not prompted to log in, but CM WebClient shows that I'm logged in as the Application Pool ID account.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

Switching to Windows authentication did the trick, but we're prompted to log in. Is there a setting in either web.config or hprmServiceapi.config so the WebClient uses the logged in user's credentials like the thick client?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

The reason the AppPool account was shown as the authenticated user is for a number of reasons:

• Anonymous Authentication was enabled
  • The AppPool account is also a Content Manager Location with access to your dataset
  • When opening the Web Client, if only Anonymous Authentication is enabled, OR, if Windows Authentication is enabled, but the user cannot be verified, it will default to logging in as the AppPool account.

Single Sign On with Windows Authentication should work, providing you're accessing the Web Client on the same domain. If you're still being prompted, check to see that the url is considered a 'trusted site' in your IE.

The CM Web Client docco has a section that refers to other checks you can make when troubleshooting Windows SSO.

Refer to attached PDF in this message, see: Troubleshooting > Authentication Prompts

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor..

They're supposed to be prompted when using Windows Authentication, which resolved the issue. They didn't think they were prompted in the RM environment, but they were. Anonymous is disabled and Windows enabled, they're good to go. Thanks for the replies.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

If the account has Allow Login set to False CM doesn't load. If the account has Allow Login set to True CM loads, however the logged in user's name isn't displayed; the TRIMService or whatever account is defined as the App Pool ID is displayed. See attached: TRIM_Test is logged in, but the TRIM.svc account is displayed as the logged in user in Web Client.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.