Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Morrissey Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Capturing Email revisions in RM, CM

Jump to solution

Would anyone know of. or has tried enabling, functionality in HPRM 8.3 (onwards) to allow for REVISIONING of captured emails?

Im on 8.3 version 9365. 

Within RM System Options, 'Record' tab - you should be able to untick the box under "When creating records from an email message:' labelled 'Automatically finalize the record' to enable this - but HPRM arbitarily finalizes emails anyway? - is this behavious linked to compliance standards such as UK National Archives, US DoD 50515, etc, or something else which is in effect?

Id like to know if anyone's thought about trying this, and especially in CM 9.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Capturing Email revisions in RM, CM

Jump to solution

The idea of revisions or a similar solution might be a good idea for an enhancement.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
8 Replies
Super Contributor.. davros29 Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

This is an ongoing source of annoyance for us and our users. Adding a more recent installment of an email chain to an existing email record is a legitimate use case. It was possible to do this in our old version of 7.3 but apparently this was a "bug" and was "fixed".

Even more annoying, when a user accidentally attachs an email to an existing record which was previously a PDF or a DOCX etc, there's no way to add a new revision or remove this without going into the database and updating the file type in the TSRECELEC table.

Hopefully the behaviour will be changed (fixed!) in future releases. A system option for sites that want this behaviour? But I'm running a demo of 9.2.1.9269 and I still can't add a revision to an email record whether it's finalised or not. 

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM02752946

Highlighted
Morrissey Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks  davros29 - I suppose the best way to possibly accomodate users who may want this feature is to use a customised (labelled) 'relationship' to an existing record called 'email revision' OR - use the Renditions function in which case you would have to ensure users are aware there's a buried rendition inside the email

-  BTW anyone else out there like to add any additional input to this topic?

Cheers

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The first part - emails cannot be revised, was updated to bring that process in line with correct records management procedures. This means that emails should not be available for edit as the contents can be manipulated.

The second part - incorrect file type added to a record. This one might be a good candidate for an enhancement. Perhaps a warning that the user is changing the file type, do they want to proceed. Did you have a support case for this request open at the moment?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
Honored Contributor.. Shelley McMenam Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

I agree a fix that enables you to add a new revision for emails, in a future release would be great, rather than having to add a new record to the system if for some reason there is another reply to an email that has already been captured.  Making revisions for emails possible would be a great enhancement.

Super Contributor.. davros29 Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi, Greg.

I agree. Being able to control whether something can or cannot be revised is a major part of a records management system. And something which TRIM already does well. But arbitrarily locking down functionality based on file type is not the correct solution. You could argue that PDFs should not be able to be changed because people generally create a PDF as a final copy for distribution. Are you going to block revisions on PDFs? And what's to stop people from modifying an email before it's sent to TRIM? Sorry, but I don't find the argument that "emails are special" to be very convinvcing. 

But if people want this bevhaviour then maybe it should be a system option?

For info, our original support case about this was QCCR2D61986.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Just to be clear I never said  "emails are special" so the use of quotation marks should not be used.

All I was outlining is the product was brought in line with the correct records management procedure. Emails are considered a finalised document. The Same would happen with a Word document that had been changed to final.

You cannot edit emails outside of CM, the only way is to reply or forward then the contents are able to be modified. 

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The idea of revisions or a similar solution might be a good idea for an enhancement.

MarkPa
Member.

Jump to solution

It should only be true that you can't edit an email if it has been sent.

I have a VBA process that prepares an email an will open it in Outllok for user to send. As the process has no control of what happens after it is in Outlook I save the .msg file at point it has been created and load to RM/CM.
if the user needs to edit the mail and then send it should be possible to add the sent mail as a new revision.

When we use Dynamics CRM mails have various statuses from Draft, Pending Send to Sent.

It should be possible to recognise that not all emails are sent and may be subject to change.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.