Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Changing the Record Type

Hi All,

We currently have a record type "Student Folder" to be able to visually see that a student is at risk I copied the "Student Folder" and renamed it to "student at risk" the purpose is that the school can then right click over the folder select Administrative Tools, Record Type and change it to Student at Risk, once the matter is finalised they then go through the same process and change it back to Student Folder.  In the both Record Types properties on the Menu tab Record Type is ticked, in the user permissions Record Administration and Record Administration (Restricted) are ticked as well as Record type yet the users do not have Record Type as an option when they right click.  Does anyone know what I have missed?  They do have access to the new record type as when they click on file new it is listed in the records for them to choose from.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Shelley

0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Changing the Record Type

Hi Shelly,

Sounds right to me, although you do not need Record Administration (restricted) to make those changes. Restricted does the following:

Change an existing record's number
Change a record's Classification when the record's number is obtained from its Classification
Set a value for Date Registered to be different from the current system date and time

And should probably not be given users that do not need those permissions.

After you make the changes are you getting the users to close their TRIM session? You need to do this step before the changes will take affect.

What user type are they?

Also, this is just my opinion but changing the record type seems like a clunky way to perform this task. Have you considered simply adding them to another container or classification? Alternatively contained within might be a good option too.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Hi Greg,

They are an Information Worker, I have unticked the Record Administration (restricted) and had the user close down TRIM and reopen they are still do not have the Record Type option available.  I find changing the record type quick and easy and it also visually displays on the screen while a staff member talks to  a student on the phone that that particular student is currently at risk.

Any other ideas????

Thanks

Shell

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

I have just been having a fiddle with it and as I said they are an Information Worker, I then selected custom user and proceeded to tick untick options, when I ticked Delete Records the Record Type option appears for them......problem is I don't want them to be able to delete records.........
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

what version and build are you using here?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

7.1.2.1879 - just checking the security settings on the record type and I think that is where I have gone wrong re the deletion - I will let you know how I go
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

hmmm it looks like the user has to have the right to delete the record to be able to change the record type is there anyway around this........
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

OK so I have unticked Delete in the record types properties and that seems to remove their ability to delete the record but still be able to change the record type
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

and now Im really stumped as the user is seeing record types that they do not have access to so ticking Delete Records in the Users Permission tabs obviously gives them some sort of high level administrative rights........Greg I may have to look at one of your suggestions......frustrating for me as it was a quick, simple and visual solution
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Shelley,

I am about to add a 'Student at Risk' Checkbox on the Student File record type and then display it in the properties field. It certainly will not stand out as well as a different colour, but we are hoping that it will be effective. I may also add a column in the list pane.

We also considered assigning the electronic file to a 'Student at Risk' location or placing the file in a higher level "Students at Risk' container.

Adam
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Thanks Adam it would be interesting to hear what other Unis are doing, I have just created a "Student at Risk" series and having a play around with that, I have made the icon a yellow circle with a ! in the middle and then on the properties screen listed the container, so they can visually see its an at Risk Student.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This ended up being much bigger than i originally thought.

7.12.1879 - someone found a bug around permissions, which sounded similar to your issue so it was listed as fixed in:

7.12.2017 - In this version the only user that can make the change of record types in as admin - no matter which user permissions are changed. This doesn't sound right to me. but continues on through all builds of 7.

in RM 8 this has changed again, to the way that you wanted. If you give a user records admin they can then change record types. So 8 works

Personally i would go with a container or a user defined field \ checkbox that has already been suggested. Much simpler and requires no permissions.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.