Highlighted
JackMorgan Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Check In Styles

Jump to solution

Hi, 

We are upgrading to CM 9.3 and am wondering why would a user create a Check In Style in CM rather that in Outlook and why when creating a Check In Style in Outlook there are only 3 fields to populate i.e. Name, Record Type and Container but in CM there are many more fields that can be populated under the Defaults, Processing and Additional Fields tabs.

Also, in the Help function in Outlook there is the following:

Check In Styles enables you to right-click an Content Manager container record, Classification or Matter record, and use Send To - Add To Check In Styles to create a Check In Style that is linked to that container record.

As a result, you can then move an email item to that Inbox folder, and Content Manager checks it in under the corresponding container record.

The link also appears in the Check In Styles tray in your Content Manager shortcuts bar.

Why would a user create a Check In Style to a Classification and what is a Matter record? Also the first paragraph refers to CM, then the second paragraph refers to a folder in Outlook. What folder?? This is doing my head in 😵

Sorry for all the questions.

Jack

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Check In Styles

Jump to solution

****  Note: For anyone interested a short history of Checkin Styles at the bottom of this answer.

Let me know if I miss any of the questions:

*** Why are there only three fields in the Outlook client? ***

I believe it was pragmatic, at the time that UI was built we did not have time to build a full UI for Checkin Style in Outlook (including addition fields).  We included the essentials and if you want to fill in more you go to CM.  WE have a project ongoing to enhance the UI in Outlook.

*** Why would you create a Check in Style for a Classification? ****

So that documents/emails catalogued using that style are assigned to that Classification.

*** What is a Matter Record ***

A matter Record is a special purpose Record Type used by legal firms to organise Matters/Clients etc.

*** What folder?  ***

You can link a Check in Style to an Outlook folder so that when you drag emails to that folder they are catalogued using the settings on that Checkin Style.

***** A short history of Checkin Styles  *******

In versions prior to 9.0 the job of check in styles was handled by information stored in the users registry.  This had numerous shortcomings. 

Somewhere in the 8.x timeframe we built a module called ExchangeLink, later renamed EmailLink) the purpose of which is to be a zero footprint email integration.  It uses Checkin Styles to create folders in your mail box, you drag email to these folders and they get filed from a server side app.

In 9.0 we decided to move the defaults (e.g. Record Type, Container) out of the users registry and into Checkin Styles.  A key benefit of this is that the information moves with the user, it is not tied to the machine.

Blog | Samples | HPE CM 9.3 SDK Docs
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

****  Note: For anyone interested a short history of Checkin Styles at the bottom of this answer.

Let me know if I miss any of the questions:

*** Why are there only three fields in the Outlook client? ***

I believe it was pragmatic, at the time that UI was built we did not have time to build a full UI for Checkin Style in Outlook (including addition fields).  We included the essentials and if you want to fill in more you go to CM.  WE have a project ongoing to enhance the UI in Outlook.

*** Why would you create a Check in Style for a Classification? ****

So that documents/emails catalogued using that style are assigned to that Classification.

*** What is a Matter Record ***

A matter Record is a special purpose Record Type used by legal firms to organise Matters/Clients etc.

*** What folder?  ***

You can link a Check in Style to an Outlook folder so that when you drag emails to that folder they are catalogued using the settings on that Checkin Style.

***** A short history of Checkin Styles  *******

In versions prior to 9.0 the job of check in styles was handled by information stored in the users registry.  This had numerous shortcomings. 

Somewhere in the 8.x timeframe we built a module called ExchangeLink, later renamed EmailLink) the purpose of which is to be a zero footprint email integration.  It uses Checkin Styles to create folders in your mail box, you drag email to these folders and they get filed from a server side app.

In 9.0 we decided to move the defaults (e.g. Record Type, Container) out of the users registry and into Checkin Styles.  A key benefit of this is that the information moves with the user, it is not tied to the machine.

Blog | Samples | HPE CM 9.3 SDK Docs
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
JackMorgan Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi David,

Thanks very much for answering all the questions and especially for the short history.

Cheers

Jack 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.