Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Carol Collins Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Content Manager 9.3 Client does not launch

Jump to solution

I am setting up a new 9.3 (9.3.0.178) environment.  So far, I have set up one workgroup and dataset.  The environment is Windows Server 2016, SQL Server 2016, with Windows 10 clients.  I have repeatedly installed the 64-bit client on a Windows 10 client computer and on the server.  When I attempt to launch the Content Manager client, it starts to load, and then disappears.  However, the CM Desktop client works fine.  I haven't found anything in the event logs or other logs that would indicate what the problem might be.  It gets as far as the Open Content Manager Dataset dialog box, and when I click OK, it just disappears. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

--Carol

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
_CH Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: Content Manager 9.3 Client does not launch

Jump to solution

Hi,

It would be my guess that the ribbon_Mdi.cfg file has become corrupted or the old version you used from pre CM9 has an issue. 

My suggestion is to remove the ribbon_Mdi.cfg file from the %appdata%\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\<datasetID>\Configuration folder. Then start the CM9 Client.  The ribbon_Mdi.cfg file will automagically regenerate upon CM9 Client startup.

You could also try resetting the Ribbon globals from a client on the Workgroup Server, but beaware there is also a globals retrieving issue in 9.3.0 client ( to be fixed in 9.3.1 ).

Cheers,

Cam.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
_CH Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

It would be my guess that the ribbon_Mdi.cfg file has become corrupted or the old version you used from pre CM9 has an issue. 

My suggestion is to remove the ribbon_Mdi.cfg file from the %appdata%\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\<datasetID>\Configuration folder. Then start the CM9 Client.  The ribbon_Mdi.cfg file will automagically regenerate upon CM9 Client startup.

You could also try resetting the Ribbon globals from a client on the Workgroup Server, but beaware there is also a globals retrieving issue in 9.3.0 client ( to be fixed in 9.3.1 ).

Cheers,

Cam.

View solution in original post

Carol Collins Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Oh my!  I would never have been able to come up with that as an answer!  I removed the ribbon_Mdi.cfg and the client launched!  One difference in my environment from what you described is that the file is in %appdata%\Micro Focus\Content manager \ <dataset_id>\Configuration.  Also, I have no pre-CM9 versions so far, as I am using newly built systems.  

I may have to look into resetting the ribbon globals, because this is happening with each new user profile on each machine.  The corruption is coming from some root source.

Thank you so much, Cam!!!

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. CraigS Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

When I looked in my users folder for this file, it did not exist.  I then took a copy of my file and placed it in his folder, and it still did not resolve the issue.

I have about 5 machines so far where they get nothing at all when they launch the app, it flashes for a split second, and then goes away.  I have this most recent user actually get the Tips screen, then when he closes out of that CM disappears, even though it is showing as running in his task manager?  Any Suggestions what could be causing these issues?

Craig

0 Likes
_CH Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Craig,

Couple of quick questions. 

What is the exact version you are running on the affected PC's? Is it Desktop or Full version of the client?

Have you tried a "Get Global"?  If you have, and it still is affected you may need to push the Global's up from a known good PC to refresh.  But be careful when pushing Global's up to the server, ensure its only the settings that everyone will need.

For 9.3 you would be looking at %appdata%\Micro Focus\Content Manager\<datasetID>\Configuration\<UserUri>

Cheers,

Cam.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

We are using version 9.3.1.300.  We are also using the full version not the desktop version, but we have tried to launch both with the same results.  We are now on windows 10 machines, but again I only have a few machines which are having this similar issue.

Also, I am not able to click get global since the application does not open.  Can I push a get global to a specific user account?

Thanks,

Craig Sakely

0 Likes
_CH Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Craig,

Does the Desktop client open without issue? 

Need to find out if its the stored Global's that are corrupted in the database. You could try to get Global's on a test PC and see if there is any issue, or pushing Globals to a specific user by setting the registry key on the user PC AutoGetGlobal (DWORD)  to zero. That is found under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Micro Focus\Content Manager\DBID\<DatasetID> before starting the CM client. The value will be set back to 1 after Globals have been got. 

Also  deleting all the *.cfg files in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Micro Focus\Content Manager\<DatasetID>\Configuration\<UserUri>\ before starting the CM client will ensure the latest values are downloaded.

Have you checked that all the *.cfg files have valid XML?.

Cheers,

Cam.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

We tied adding the AutoGetGlobal, and that did not work.  We also removed the .cfg files and again we got the same results.

would there be any other settings that could be blocking it?  Again, we only have a few machines where this same thing is happening.

Thanks,

Craig

0 Likes
_CH Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi,

If the user has previously run the CM client, The AutoGetGlobal setting under the datasetID should already be present. You should not have to create it under normal circumstances. 

Have you validated an affected users cfg files are all well formed XML?  Have you compared an affected users cfg files with ones that are known to work? I'd start with the Ribbon_Mdi.cfg. 

Also, as you mentioned previously, ensure all TRIM.exe and TrimDesktop.exe are not running in Task Manager.

Cheers,

Cam.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

The AutoGetGlobal setting was not there, and we needed to create it.  Also, the .cfg files apprear to look normal.  I even tried replacing the Ribbon_Mdi.cfg with one that was working.  Still no luck....

Thanks,

Craig

0 Likes
_CH Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Craig,

Have a look at Process Monitor (ProcMon) from Sysinternals. It is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.   You may need to run it as admin. ProcMan will show what trim.exe was last accessing before it disappears.

Without filters ProcMon will show lots of detail, so limit it to Process Name of trim.exe and the ReadFile operation as a start. Then move onto the registry.

I have attached a screenshot of what I get when the trim.exe starts with those filters. As a test and before starting trim.exe, I altered 3 of the cfg files to have malformed XML. You can see in the screenshot, those files only have one result of SUCCESS, which means the file was read. But those 3 don't have the END OF FILE result like all the others. Which means there was a problem with the file. 

Let us know how you go. 

Cheers,

Cam.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.