Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Brett Danalake Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Content Manager 9.3 Patch 1 and OneDrive Office Sync

Jump to solution

We're currently testing Content Manager 9.3.0 Patch 1 and found that we were unable to save Office documents directly into CM using either the CM Check In menu or the Offile File - Save As - CM option.

The behaviour we were getting was that the record type and reigstration form would appear but then a CM message would appear showing "The given path's format is not supported'. No further action could then be taken. The document cannot be closed. THe only way to close the process is to open Task Manager and end the process for Word. The record is created in CM with no electronic attachment and the document is then stored in OneDrive not Offline Records with no mehtod to check in other than drag and dropping it onto the record in CM.

We've been advised this is related to OneDrive altering the filename to be a http: name which Content Manager doesn't recognise. We were further advised to change the OneDrive Office setting to deselect the option to sync Office files.

This resolved the problem but our testing has found that this causes a negative effect for any sharing and co-authoring of files from OneDrive (with the setting on multiple users can edit the single document. With the setting off multiple users can open the document but separate copies are saved for each person editing.)

We do not have this problem at all with our 8.3 install so it appears to have started in 9.3 (although I've been told it's also a problem in 9.2)

Micro Focus support have advised me that they are working on a fix for this for a future release.

Has anyone else had this issue with Content Manager and OneDrive? Are there any workarounds other than disabling the Office sync option for OneDrive and thus also disabling co-authoring? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Content Manager 9.3 Patch 1 and OneDrive Office Sync

Jump to solution

Ah sorry, I forgot. we added that field to the UI in a yet to be released version.

You can still update the property but you need to do it in the preferences file (e.g. %appdata%Micro Focus\Content Manager\OfficeIntegration\preferences). You will see an element call MyDocumentsFolder.

Capture.PNG

Blog | Samples | HPE CM 9.3 SDK Docs
**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
14 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

The only work arounds I see are to disable Office Sync or to move the Office Integration 'My Documents' folder to a location outside the actual My Documents folder.

Can I confirm that what you want to do is have co-authoring for documents in CM by:

• checking them out using the Office Integration
  • allowing OneDrive to sync then
  • sharing them in Once Drive, then
  • checking them back in to CM?

If all you want to do is:

1. create a new document
  2. share in OneDrive
  3. then register it a a new Record in CM

Then I imagine that switching the Office Integration 'My Documents' folder location might help, although I have not tested this.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of MicroFocus**
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hi David,Co-authoring for documents in CM would be great but isn't what is causing issues. It's co-authoring of documents not in CM. I've only tested sharing a folder from my desktop with the Office sync option turned off and found it completely removed the ability to co-author successfully. I've yet to try other scenarios (e.g. in Microsoft Teams; SharePoint; other areas of OneDrive). We're not seeing the same behaviour for 8.3 where we have the Office sync option enabled. I've been told this is only an issue for CM 9
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

So does that mean that moving your Office Integration folder to anopther location (outside of My Documents) would solve the problem?

Capture.PNG

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi David,

When I go to CM Options in Word I see fewer fields than in your screenshot.

Integration.PNG

I'm logged in as a user with Local Admin.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Ah sorry, I forgot. we added that field to the UI in a yet to be released version.

You can still update the property but you need to do it in the preferences file (e.g. %appdata%Micro Focus\Content Manager\OfficeIntegration\preferences). You will see an element call MyDocumentsFolder.

Capture.PNG

Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Thanks David,
I've made that adjustment and turned the OneDrive Office Sync back on, then created a new document and saved to CM successfully. I'll run some more tests to check if there are any additional implications but this looks like an acceptable workaround at the moment.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi David,

I had one other question. What would you suggest is the best approach for pushing out this change? Should we just replace the config file in users %appdata%\Micro Focus\Content Manager\OfficeIntegration\ via a group policy update or is there a setting/registry key that we can apply?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Firstly I would test that using %appdata& in that element actually works, up until recently the Office Integration did not support those variables in paths.

I am not an implementation expert but the partners I have spoken to have used scripts that run on login to update/replace the prefernces file.  There is no registry setting.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
I've tested this with two locations so far and haven't encountered a problem but will test further before signing off.
I'm glad you confirm there's no registry as it'll let me stop looking 🙂
I'll work with our IT and partner to come up with a suitable deployment.
Thanks again for your assistance.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hi David,
We were finding some issues with using the variables in the OfficeIntegration config file. However, we just did an Office 365 update (going to version 1904) and it seems the issue has gone away. We're doing more testing before we decide it's fixed.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Further to this. Not fixed in Office 365 update. We were fooled in the testing by OneDrive not syncing the file location. Once it did the issue returned so, back to trying the OfficeIntegration config file.
0 Likes
Anemone
New Member.

Jump to solution

Hi David,

At our organisation My Documents is redirected to staff's personal drives. So we don't want offline records to go to people's personal drive but rather to a location on the fileserver. We have changed the line for My Documents in the preferences file to the below and were hoping that it would write to the logged on user's folder. Instead a folder is being created called %username% . Is there a way to get the logged on user name resolved?

<MyDocumentsFolder>\\xxx.xxx\fileserver\Offline Folders\%username%</MyDocumentsFolder>

Thank you

Note: we are using CM 9.3.2.418.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hi,
We were able to get around CM not liking the %username% variable with a powershell script. It copied a sample prefernces file with the MyDocuments location completed (including the variable) then replaces the variable with the logged on user.

if(!(Test-Path -Path "$($env:APPDATA)\Micro Focus\Content Manager\OfficeIntegration\preferences"))
{
Copy-Item C:\temp\preferences.template "$($env:APPDATA)\Micro Focus\Content Manager\OfficeIntegration\preferences"

$file = Get-Content "$($env:APPDATA)\Micro Focus\Content Manager\OfficeIntegration\preferences"
$file[17] = $file[17].Replace("%CHANGEME%","$($env:APPDATA)\Micro Focus")
$file | Out-File "$($env:APPDATA)\Micro Focus\Content Manager\OfficeIntegration\preferences" -Force
} else {
Write-Host "Already exists"
}

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
I just reviewed the code, looks like 94 is fixed to expand environment variables (such as %username%) but the same fix has not been ported back to 9.3. If it is any comfort I just committed fix in 93 so the next patch should work.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.