Highlighted
Dave Jackson Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Creating an External Link to run a Saved Search

Jump to solution

Running HPE CM v9.1

Hi there, so my end game would be, being able to run a saved search as a button on the tool bar rIbbon.

The only way I can think would be write an external link to run a saved search.

Does anyone know if it is possible?

...or any other way to add a saved search to the toolbar?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor.. davros29 Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Re: Creating an External Link to run a Saved Search

Jump to solution

You don't have to do anything to the TR5. It should already be associated with TRIM so it's already "executable".  This is all you have to fill in.

1. Link name: <the name of the button you want to create>
  2. Folder or subfolder: <path where the TR5 is sitting e.g. C:\ProgramData\TRIM\DBID>
  3. Executable file name: <your saved search.TR5>

The folder value should be something that all users can access. It could be a network location, but we found performance was much better when it was local. So we added them to our deployment package so they live on the user's local C: drive.

10 Replies
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Easiest way to do this is to create a TR5 for your saved search and then add this as an "New executable" in external links. No coding needed. Then add the new external link to the ribbon.

Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

GREAT! Thanks for the reply, I was praying this was something simple (ish). I can make the TR5 file from the saved search, how do you make that file executable?

What special folder is best for these?

Many thanks in advance.

clipboard_image_1.png

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

You don't have to do anything to the TR5. It should already be associated with TRIM so it's already "executable".  This is all you have to fill in.

1. Link name: <the name of the button you want to create>
  2. Folder or subfolder: <path where the TR5 is sitting e.g. C:\ProgramData\TRIM\DBID>
  3. Executable file name: <your saved search.TR5>

The folder value should be something that all users can access. It could be a network location, but we found performance was much better when it was local. So we added them to our deployment package so they live on the user's local C: drive.

Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hey there,

Sorry to ask again.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm just testing it at this stage in its simplest form, and I cant get it to run. The Tr5 file works as it should from the location.Ssimply c :\Temp\ .But the button I create based off the external link is inactive and wont run at all?? Ive add the "used by" record types required too.

Here's my settings.

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

button above.

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

If you have a window with some search results in TRIM (e.g. your Recent Documents, Work Tray or any other search) does the button become active? This is a gotcha that I neglected to mention.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Ah yup, Its working now. I wonder if I could make an executable to run the tr5 file...thanks.

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

I think it's just the way external links work unfortunately. It checks to see if the link is associated with whatever object is selected in TRIM and then makes it active or inactive based on that. If nothing's selected then it stays inactive.

0 Likes
JackMorgan Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi davros29,

Creating the external link works fine, but when I right-click on a document and select Send To, the external link appears in the context menu. 

Any ideas why?

Thanks

Jack

0 Likes
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Because TRIM, that's why. 😉

Sorry, Jack. Don't have a good answer for that one. That just seems to be the way it works. It's the same in our environment too. All of the external links appear under the Send To menu if they're associated with the record type.

0 Likes
JackMorgan Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Gotta love TRIM 😕

Thanks. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.