Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Cross Reference from Old Schedule to New Schedule

Good Morning,

Has anyone found a good way to cross reference from an old schedule to a new schedule in Content Manager? I'd like to keep our whole history of schedules in the system with cross refernces from an old schedule to what it later became. It would be ideal when if someone typed in an old schedule number, it automatically defaulted to the new one when entering new boxes/records.

This seems like a functionality that should be present, but my searches through the forums and the Help content don't reveal any clues. Our schedules, which were set up prior to my taking over the system, have an Old Retention Schedule field on an Additional Tab within the properities, but it has never been used, so I'm wondering if this set up was begun, but never finished.

Thank you in advanace if anyone else has set up this type of cross referencing and is willing to share.

~Deidre

Deidre Thieman, MLIS

Electronic Records Management Analyst
Multnomah County / Department of County Assets
Records Management: 503-988-3741
Pronouns: She/Her
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Cross Reference from Old Schedule to New Schedule

It would be nice to know what other Records Managers do in CM when a retention schedule they're using for the organisation is replaced with a new one.

I assume the original schedules stay in CM's list of schedules (because they're applied to records and records may have already been disposed under those schedules) but they get deactivated and the new ones imported/added to the list.

I don't believe there's any way currently to enter an old schedule number and have the new one automatically identified and/or applied to a record upon creation. In theory a record add-in could be created to provide that sort of functionality on pre-save, as long as the new schedule contains the old schedule number(s) somewhere (e.g. in the Notes field - an additional field like in your database may not accommodate multiple old schedule numbers).

By all means log an enhancement request via SSO (MySupport) for consideration in a future release - would need to provide a detailed description of how you believe it should work from a user's perspective and how you envisage the administrator would enable and maintain the old/new linkages.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/

If you find this post useful, please use the and/or buttons below.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

It may have been done using additional fields; you can create a new additional field of type Schedule and configure it to apply only to schedules.

Then update that field with the original (superceded) schedule, like below.

schedule1.pngschedule2.pngschedule3.png

Regards,
Quinton Bernhardt

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Hi Neil,

Yes that's what we do. The old schedules are changed to Not Active,  but not removed fro the system, and the new ones added as Active schedules. The Inactive ones will not show up when users are entering new records, so that takes care of a user not using the incorrect schedule.

The missing piece for me seems to be there there isn't a way to say this schedule was replaced by/superseded by this other one. That way if a user typed int he number for an old schedule the system could actually alert them as to the correct new schedule number that applied. Thanks for the suggestion about the enhancement. I will do a bit more thinking ang log it as a request for future releases.

~Deidre

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor..

Hi Quinton,

Yes, it does look like this is how the field was created. I will try it and see what type of cross referencing, if any, is achieved. Thanks for your suggestion.

~Deidre

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.