gene geney
New Member.

Dataset vs Database

Hi,

Trying to understand the correlation between datasets and databases - my colleague and I are working with a client (HP TRIM v7) who have provided us access to a single database.  We believe there may be other databases that hold records within a single dataset.  Is that the case or is it a single DB please?

Thanks!

Gene

0 Likes
5 Replies
Harry-Koppanyi Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Dataset vs Database

Hi,

Database is created at RDBMS engine like SQLServer, Oracle etc, You can choose any name for the Database. Dataset are CM/ RM/ TRIM Application tables created within the Database by providing RDBMS connection string to connect it the Database therefore you can choose any name for Dataset. RDBMS database needs to exist before you create a dataset (create cm tables within). Database is created using RDBMS engine’s provide tool like SQLStudio for SQLServer whereas Dataset is created from CM Enterprises studio. This Dataset creation process is called Registering a Dataset for the Workgroup. Workgroup are processes which knows to interacts with the Dataset tables etc (cm application code etc). Each Dataset is an independant and complete, there is no spanning or cross databases talking , expansion etc. 

Client makes a connection to workgroup only, so when you have more than one Dataset registered on the Workgroup Server, Client will show you a popup to choose which dataset you would like to connect to. Each Dataset has a Unique two character / digit ID which are assigned at the time of registering the Dataset. (The character is a legacy and I dont know why HP never updated it to something longer).

hope this answer your question. In CM you would hear of Dataset and Database as interchanged but mostof them would be refering to Dataset. 

Cheers,
Harry
0 Likes
gene geney
New Member.

Thanks Harry - so one RDBMS database per dataset?

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Yes, in simplest form one-to-one relationship  1 RDBMS Database per Dataset (as explained above that CM tables will be created in that Database). 

Cheers,
Harry
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

My definition's different to Harry's...

A CM dataset comprises a SQL/Oracle database, plus the document store(s) and content index belonging to it.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion, and unless stated otherwise do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Micro Focus.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.)

MySupport: https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
Outstanding Contributor.

I agree, that overall Dataset does have Document Store component defined, from the question I gatherd that OP (Original poster) wanted to understand the context from the Database point of view. Neil, input further clarifies them which is added value. Thanks

Cheers,
Harry
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.