Highlighted
Mary Bray
New Member.

Documentation for TRIM 7 .Net SDK

Morning all from frosty Braidwood (minus 6 C) this morning!

I would like to renew the call for some proper documentation from HP for the TRIM 7 SDK. The 2 pages of how to use searching text is not appropriate given the massive changes to the code in this release when using the .Net SDK.

Luckily this forum has people contributing that have worked many of the code intricacies out, but come on HP - you can't seriously think it's OK to have a major international product out there without even an explanation of the object model. The old code wasn't well documented but at least there was a listing of the properties and methods ande the (very) occassional code sample.

Forums are all very well, but most of the time these are people answering questions out of the goodness of their hearts and without adequate documentation implementing a customised TRIM solution costs spiral and there is a signigicant down time for the coders while they try to work out how something simple works - like the new method for getting/setting access controls.

Cheers,

Mary

6 Replies
EWillsey Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Documentation for TRIM 7 .Net SDK

I agree! Though I doubt it'll come anytime soon. 😉
---------
Erik
0 Likes
Rich_Kid Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It would be great if there was a presenter or Workhop at the next TUF doing a dot net coding session that included sample code. There was a great session at the last TUF on the Add-In with a google Map link, and the presenter even modified the second presentation to show how to do multiple tagged records.

It would help justify sending people to the event.

hey, if HP would pay my expenses, I would run one based on what I know !!

0 Likes
TonyCoV Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Put me on the list for official documentation from HP TRIM group. I wonder even how consultants figure this stuff out. What do they know that we don't?

0 Likes
Absent Member.. David Lant Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Yes, let's have something more like documentation, and less like a vague comment please.

I had been looking forward to the change to .NET for the SDK.  but given some of the really annoying quirks of the TRIM client/SDK build, it's getting to the point where one has to consider whether it's more effort than it's worth.

0 Likes
Mary Bray
New Member.

well - I did stacks of code using the .Net SDK, and have now returned to the COM SDK.

0 Likes
TonyCoV Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I received the following from HP SDK support:

"The .NET SDK was only slightly different from the COM SDK when it came out. So the documentation was limited to a ‘bridging document’ which discussed the main differences from the already well documented COM SDK. That document was mainly about the differences caused by .NET assemblies and string based searching. The other main difference was that many methods required extra parameters under .NET. This gap was covered by the help strings and ‘intellisense’ available through the VS IDE.

..."

He went on to explain how the new 8.0 .NET SDK document provides more examples, and suggested continuing to contact the support team for specific help.

-Tony

HP TRIM 7.1

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.