Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
HeatherM1 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Documents Failing to Check Back in

CM9.2, Windows 7, Office 2013

Wondering if anyone has encountered this:

I've now had a couple of users report an issue where they've edited a document, then closed it and it's failed to check back in.  On investigation, it's not sitting in their Offline Records.  After I check it back in manually as the administrator and create a new revision, the user will edit it again and when they save and close, CM will try to treat it as a whole new document being captured.  This also happens if they use check out or drag the document out to a local drive, work on it, save it locally and then try to drop it back into CM to create a new revision.  When you look at the right-click options available to them, they don't have edit, check out, check in or open.  It's almost like it's behaving like a finalized document, even though it's not.  Any other user can still edit or check out / in the affected document with no problems.   

Any advice greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Respected Contributor.. Leggy Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Re: Documents Failing to Check Back in

Have you watched a user do this? (My support No. 1 rule is 'never believe the client' unless you are standing next to them)

A couple of suggestions below:

- If they have selected edit & not made changes, there will be a delay before showing as checked in (I think 15mins out of the box setting).

- Is the user double clicking to edit with double click behaviour set to view?

- Is the user accessing CM9 via Citrix/VPN

Best wishes

So many config options to look at with this one so it is difficult to narrow down the most likely cause.  I would also have a look at User Profiles and Access Controls as well as modifying a similar users profile to 'use profile of' an attected user.

0 Likes
HeatherM1 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Documents Failing to Check Back in

Hi Leggy,

Thanks for responding.  Yes, I have watched the users do this (I'm with you on the healthy skepticism). 

I've disabled Edit via double click as it's caused us too many problems in the past.  They right-click on the record and either select Edit or Check out. 

One of them was definitely accessing via a VPN, so that could well be a factor.  I'm also wondering if it's a sync issue outside of CM, as everyone's Offline Records resides on a shared network drive , not on the PC's hard drive (for various techincal and business reasons). 

Thanks for the tips!  :)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.