Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Scott Brown2 Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Elasticsearch or IDOL. New setup for CM 9.2.1

We have an installation of CM 9.2.1 and have never established Document Content Indexing. We are going to establish DCI and I am wondering what I should use, IDOL or Elasticsearch. I get the impression I would be expected to use Elasticsearch, but am not sure. What are the differences/benefits?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Visitor.. SSchaff
Visitor..

Re: Elasticsearch or IDOL. New setup for CM 9.2.1

I had this same question, our answer was to use the OEM IDOL Search. This was really driven by the fact that Elastic Search is open source and nothing more.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.. Erik Wold Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

I think there are probably pros and cons like any open/closed source software debate for support and price.

The biggest differences I have taken from it are the features that Elastic provides via the Elastic Stack. Getting insight out of your content index or other data, outside of traditional content searching, may be more available to take advantage of with Elastic. Those features really just require the right internal team to use them, as they are free to download from their site.

JanMartin Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Erik, in my opinion IDOL is the way to go if your organisation isn't comfortable with the possiblity of having to engage an Elasticsearch support partner.

However, saying that - you are correct that the insights provided by Elasticsearch are superior. I have encountered scenarios where records which should appear in searches do not because IDOL did not have any content indexed for them, but due to the fact that OEM IDOL is locked down it was very difficult to determine which records that this had happened to. 

I am a big fan of the ELK stack, especially the reporting and graphs that Kibana can produce.

Outstanding Contributor.. Sten28 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

On paper, Elastic/IDOL provide the same function. Your mileage may vary depending on what you expect to get out of either. It all comes down to how much complexity you want to put up with when installing it in the back-end.

I tend to lean more towards IDOL because:

• the majority of the install base out there also use it - easy to fix issues when you have a larger community out there.
  • It has been integrated with CM for a lot longer than Elastic, therefore it's slightly more mature than Elastic in the CM ecosystem.

Micro Focus' stance is that any new CM installations should go with Elastic instead of IDOL. Having said that, Elastic and IDOL will continue to be supported regardless.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.