Highlighted
HeatherM1 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Email Error Message when Dragging and Dropping

Jump to solution

Hi, just wondering if someone can help decipher an error message users are randomly receiving when dragging and dropping emails into CM9.2.  We're currently on Windows 7 and Outlook 2013, although that's slated to change to Windows 10 and Outlook 2016 in the next month.

The message reads:

The email has been successfully registered into Content Manager.

However the attempt to remove or update the subject of the email failed. There are several possible causes:

1. It was not possible to find the email as the permanent email ID could not be discovered within the EML email file. This is due to the System Option to save email in EML format.  Try MSG format instead.

2. You do not have the permission to modify the email in Outlook.

3. The Internet Message ID of the dragged email does not match the Internet Message ID of the original email.

The emails are indeed being successfully saved in CM, but the "in TRIM" indicator isn't being added to the email's subject in Outlook.  When I look at the properties of the emails being saved in CM when the error message has been displayed, they are all MSG format.  I also notice that the message tends to appear after a user has done a few drag and drops in a row.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Trusted Contributor.. Kylie_Lack Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: Email Error Message when Dragging and Dropping

Jump to solution

Hi

It is not an error message as such but just an FYI.  The email was successfully registered in CM but for some reason, it couldn't update the Subject Line of the email in Outlook with the 'In CM indicator'.  This appears once in a while when the integration couldn't update the email itself.  I'm not sure what causes this to occur but if you click OK on the message, the email still saves.

I hope that helps.

Kylie

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Trusted Contributor.. Kylie_Lack Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi

It is not an error message as such but just an FYI.  The email was successfully registered in CM but for some reason, it couldn't update the Subject Line of the email in Outlook with the 'In CM indicator'.  This appears once in a while when the integration couldn't update the email itself.  I'm not sure what causes this to occur but if you click OK on the message, the email still saves.

I hope that helps.

Kylie

View solution in original post

Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi, Kylie!  😀

Thanks for the reply.  I've noticed the issue generally goes away if we restart both CM and Outlook or at worst, reboot the pc.  I've also been telling users to try using Check In from the HPE Content Manager tab as an alternative if the message is becoming annoying. 

Trusted Contributor.. Sam Cornett Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

We've been seeing this message more frequently lately.

The advice from our vendor was to give the user "Owner" permissions on their Inbox in Outlook. Sometimes if this doesn't have any effect, the user needs their Outlook profile rebuilt.

So far it looks like it's solving the issue for us, hopefully it may help you.

Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks very much, Sam. I'll chat with our IT folk.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.. Miss4or Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Jump to solution
Is there any commonalities with the emails this is occurring with? are they all from external email addresses or from unknown CM locations?
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Miss4or,

No, there's no common theme in terms of contacts.  The emails can be internal, external or from unknown locations. 

The main thing is that it seems to start to happen (and it's random) once we've done a few drag and drops, as if the integration is struggling a bit.

Trusted Contributor.. Sam Cornett Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Have you had any luck with your IT people @HeatherM1?

Interestingly I've not had any more users complain so haven't progressed it with our IT guys. Either it's not happening anymore or our users aren't worrying about it!

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

IT wasn't able to offer a solution and I haven't had anyone mention it happening since we upgraded to an Office 365 back end for Outlook a couple of weeks ago, so fingers crossed!

0 Likes
TRIMWatcher Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

I recall that same sort of issuing appearing at another workplace. Unfortunately, that was two years back so I'm not able to give an authoritative response here.

The answer I got was that if the original message had been changed by responding to it or some other kind of action (moving into a new folder), it was not in synch with the email servers anymore. That caused a conflict at that point, and was not due to using CM9.

Wish I could be more specific and even provide a work-around. 

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi TRIMWatcher,

Thanks for responding.  That's interesting information.  The issue happens so randomly that it's difficult to track what may have been done with / to the email before we try to capture it into CM, but I'll definitely keep in mind next time to ask the user if they replied to or moved it.

0 Likes
Established Member.. PenelopeW
Established Member..

Jump to solution
Hi HeatherM1, We are on Windows 10 Office 16 and have found that if staff have any filters on their email list eg. by sender name, subject text and then try to checkin an email they get the error message 100% of the time.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.